Opened on April 9, 1705 in the Haymarket as the Queen's Theatre in honor of Queen Anne, the theater went through various name changes (King's Theatre) with the changing of monarchs. Rather large for drama, it became the first English opera house. In the 1830-1850 period, it was famous as the Italian Opera House for its productions of opera with international stars and for its association with romantic ballet. With the accession of Queen Victoria, it was called Her Majesty's Theatre. Jenny Lind made her English debut here on May 4, 1847. The theater was closed in 1890 and demolished in 1891, though a new theater was built on the site.
From the guide to the Her Majesty's Theatre programs, March 13-August 5, 1847, 1847, (The New York Public Library. Billy Rose Theatre Division.)
Enrico Piatti was the brother of the famous cellist Alfredo Piatti; in 1846 Balfe took over as conductor of the Italian Opera at Her Majesty's Theatre, remaining until the theatre closed in 1852. Cf. New Grove opera; Dizionario universale dei musicisti.
From the description of Contract : with Enrico Piatti, cellist, signed by Michael William Balfe for Benjamin Lumley, 1848 Feb. 15, "to the close of season." (Unknown). WorldCat record id: 612872029