The Quinsigamond Boat Club had its inception in 1857 when seven young men began to meet "for a row" at Lake Quinsigamond (then commonly known as Long Pond). This group was joined by another small group who rowed at Salisbury Pond and called themselves the Wide Awake Club. In 1859 the Atalanta Boat Club was organized at Curtis Pond but soon moved to Quinsigamond with its boat, the "Phantom." This boat was bought by the original seven men who then called themselves the Phantom Boat Club. The later joined with the Atalantas in building a boathouse on Lake Quinsigamond. In 1864 a shell was bought which was named "Quinsigamond" and about that time the club became known as the Quinsigamond Boat Club (QBC). In 1875 the club adopted a formal organization and in 1883 it was incorporated. The club also functioned as a social organization noted for its dinners and theatricals. It was disbanded in September 1948.
From the description of Records, c. 1859-c. 1937; 1953. (American Antiquarian Society). WorldCat record id: 191259677