Middlebury, Vt., became the shire town for Addison County in 1791. The first county court house was completed in 1798 on land donated by Gamaliel Painter. In 1814, the building was moved to another site, also donated by Painter. In 1882, the building was moved to make room for a new court house on the same site. The building was designed by Middlebury architect Clinton Smith, partner in the firm Smith & Allen, with which the state had contracted for the construction of the court house.
In 1996, a third Addison County Court House was completed on a neighboring site. The 1883 building became the property of Middlebury College in accordance with the provisions of Gamaliel Painter's will. It now houses the Middlebury College Center for Educational Technology.
From the description of Specifications and contract for Court House, Middlebury, Vt., 1883. (Sheldon Museum Research Center). WorldCat record id: 708654254