The Brooklyn Ethical Association began meeting in 1880 at the Second Unitarian Church in Brooklyn, N.Y. The Association was organized for the group study of ethics, politics, economics, and other social sciences, and to disseminate knowledge about these topics through public lectures and discussion. Each year, the members selected a theme to be explored throughout a season of lectures and discussion. Frequently, these themes touched on social facets of evolution, such as evolution and goverment, evolution and science, evolution and civilization, and evolution and art. In the 1890s, the Association moved its meetings and lectures to the Pouch Mansion on Clinton Avenue in the present-day Brooklyn neighborhood of Clinton Hill. After the 1898 season, the Brooklyn Ethical Association disbanded.
- Brooklyn Ethical Association eighth year season program, 1888; Brooklyn Ethical Association publications, ARC.173; Box 1, Folder 1; Brooklyn Historical Society.
From the guide to the Brooklyn Ethical Association publications, 1888-1896, (Brooklyn Historical Society)