Theatre in the Round Players (TRP) is an amateur community theatre based in Minneapolis, Minnesota. It was incorporated in 1952 by seven former members of the Circle Theatre Players. Breaking with traditional community theatres, TRP uses directors on a show-to-show basis, instead of having one full-time director. One of the most notable aspects of TRP is their theatre. In 1969, Theatre in the Round moved to the West Bank area of Minneapolis into a furniture warehouse. The building was redesigned by the architectural firm Ralph Rapson & Associates and by designers of the Guthrie Theatre and the University of Minnesota. The audience of 259 surrounds the actors, and no seat is more than 30 feet from the stage. TRP has been awarded first place at the International Festival of Community Theatres in 1983 and 1985. Theatre in the Round is considered the most successful community theatre in Minnesota.
From the guide to the Theatre in the Round papers, 1953-1978, (University of Minnesota Libraries. Performing Arts Archives, Manuscripts Division [paa])