Virginia. Commission on Fisheries.

Hide Profile

On 25 March 1875 the General Assembly authorized the governor to appoint three commissioners of fisheries to coordinate conservation activities with the federal government and to oversee the duties of local oyster inspectors. The number of commissioners was reduced to one by an act passed on 8 March 1877.

The office of fish commissioner was abolished by the General Assembly on 7 February 1898 and replaced by the Board of Fisheries. The board also assumed the functions of the Board on the Chesapeake and Its Tributaries. On 5 February 1900 the General Assembly passed an act authorizing the board to employ county surveyors to resurvey the oyster planting grounds and any part of the survey made in the 1890s by James B. Baylor that needed revision. On 12 March 1908 the General Assembly changed the name of the board to the Commission on Fisheries. In 1968 the name of the commission was changed to the Marine Resources Commission.

In 1860 the Code of Virginia authorized county courts to appoint inspectors of oysters to enforce oyster laws and collect fines and fees. The General Assembly passed an act on 3 March 1866 amending the code's provisions and requiring the oyster inspectors to report their collections periodically to the auditor of public accounts. Although it was revised several times, the system remained in place until the office of the auditor was abolished in 1928.

From the description of Oyster reports, fines, fees, rents, and taxes collected by inspectors of oysters, 1898-1927. (Unknown). WorldCat record id: 122700568

Archival Resources

Corporate Body

Active 1898

Active 1927

Related Descriptions
Information

Permalink: http://n2t.net/ark:/99166/w6bw2p55

Ark ID: w6bw2p55

SNAC ID: 55274213