Norman Lockyer Observatory (formerly the Hill Observatory)

Hide Profile

The Norman Lockyer Observatory was begun as The Hill Observatory in 1913 by Sir Joseph Norman Lockyer (1836-1920), astronomer, and officially established in 1916. It was renamed in his honour in the year after his death by his family, who continued to play an important role in the running of the observatory. Following a generous endowment from Robert Mond, it was established as a centre of astronomical excellence, and later became The Norman Lockyer Observatory Corporation of the University of Exeter. The University was not able to attract the significant funding required to compete on the international stage of astronomy, however, and the Norman Lockyer Observatory Corporation was wound up in 1989-1991. The telescope was given to the Sidmouth Astronomical Society, a group of enthusiasts, who re-opened the NLO and established the Norman Lockyer Observatory Society to administer it.

From the guide to the Norman Lockyer Observatory Papers, c1913-1989, (University of Exeter)

Archival Resources
Role Title Holding Repository
creatorOf Norman Lockyer Observatory Papers, c1913-1989 University of Exeter
Role Title Holding Repository
Relation Name
associatedWith Lockyer Joseph Norman 1836-1920 person
associatedWith Lockyer William James Stewart 1868-1936 person
associatedWith Norman Lockyer Observatory corporateBody
Place Name Admin Code Country


Related Descriptions


Ark ID: w6hr93b6

SNAC ID: 54668317