Henry Francis Cary (1772-1844), translator, was born in Gibraltar on 6 December 1772. He attended grammar schools in Rugby, Sutton Coldfield and Birmingham, and entered Christ Church, Oxford, in 1790 (B.A., 1794; M.A., 1796). He became Vicar of Abbot's Bromley, Staffordshire, in 1796, and of Kingsbury, Warwickshire, in 1800. He left his parish in 1807 and, after settling in London, contributed pieces to magazines, including the London magazine, owned by John Taylor and James Augustus Hessey. Cary worked at the British Museum, 1826-1837. His translations include Dante's Divina commedia (1805-1812), Aristophanes' The birds (1824) and the Odes of Pindar (1832). He died at his home in Charlotte Street, Bloomsbury, on 14 August 1844.
From the guide to the Henry Francis Cary: Letters to Taylor and Hessey, 1822-1824, (Cambridge University Library, Department of Manuscripts and University Archives)
Epithet: Reverend translator
British Library Archives and Manuscripts Catalogue : Person : Description : ark:/81055/vdc_100000000295.0x000185