The Alpha Chapter of Phi Beta Kappa was established at the University of Michigan in 1907. The chapter was an outgrowth of a society which had started in the spring of 1907, known as the Alpha Honor Society. The organization was established to recognize intellectual and scholarly achievements of students.
From the guide to the Phi Beta Kappa. Alpha Chapter (University of Michigan) records, 1907-1978, (Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan)