Reverend Fletcher Homan, D.D. was the eleventh president of Willamette University, serving from 1908 to 1914. He was born in Iowa in 1868 and received both his Bachelor of Arts and Master of Arts from Simpson College in Indianola, Iowa. He later earned a Bachelor of Sacred Theology from the Garrett Biblical Institute in Evanston, Illinois. Before becoming a Methodist minister in 1898, Homan spent several years in the mercantile business. When offered the position at Willamette, he was acting as the Vice President of Simpson College, his alma mater, and his primary responsibilities were financial affairs. Homan’s predecessor at Willamette University, J.H. Coleman initiated an endowment campaign to ensure that, for the first time, the university would have a solid financial backing. Under Homan’s guidance, the endowment reached its $500,000 goal. In addition to the completion of the endowment campaign, Homan’s tenure saw the construction of Eaton Hall, the liberal arts building funded by a donation from A.E. Eaton, proprietor of the Union Woolen Mills and a prominent Methodist in Oregon. Despite Homan’s accomplishments for the university, his approach to running its daily operations caused friction between imself and the students and faculty. He resigned his position as university president in June of 1914 and was offered a one-year, paid leave of absence.
From the guide to the Office of the President: Fletcher P. Homan records, 1902-1923, 1908-1914, (Willamette University University Archives and Special Collections)