Glen Sheppard was raised in Romulus, Michigan, and exhibited an early interest in the newspaper business, which was encouraged by his father. Sheppard enlisted in the army in 1950 and served for three years during the Korean War. Upon his release and return to Michigan, Sheppard worked for various newspapers in the greater Detroit area. A few years later he returned to the army for another three-year tour, during which time he was stationed at Fort Greely, Alaska. Upon his second release Sheppard again worked for a number of newspapers, including the New York Herald Tribune and the Charlevoix Courier .
In 1969 Sheppard took over the North Woods Call, a small conservationist newspaper founded in 1953 by Marguerite Gahagan. Sheppard would be the owner, publisher, editor, and principal writer of the Call for the next 40 years. The Call published conservation news, editorials, and expository pieces on the topics of conservation legislation, scientific research, and outdoorsmanship. Sheppard built a network of well-placed sources ranging from politicians to scientists and members of environmentalist organizations. Under Sheppard's leadership the Call became a publication to which various politicians, government agencies, and environmental journalists for larger newspapers subscribed.
Sheppard's journalism challenged the actions of government agencies, corporations, and individuals threatening the integrity of Michigan conservation. During Governor John Engler's administration, Sheppard's criticism of government bureaucracy resulted in the Call being banned from field offices of the Michigan Department of Natural Resources. Sheppard built a journalistic reputation as a staunch and unapologetic defender of the natural resources and wildlife of Northern Michigan. Sheppard died on January 5th, 2011 at the age of 74. The North Woods Call has since been purchased and re-launched.
Source: Volgenau, Gerald. "Sheppard's Call." MyNorth.com (Traverse, Northern Michigan's Magazine), 6 May 2009.
From the guide to the Glen Sheppard Papers, 1940s-2010, Bulk 1990-2008, (Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan)