The Allen Memorial Art Museum at Oberlin College was dedicated on June 12, 1917. The building, designed by architect Cass Gilbert, was the gift of Dudley Peter and Elizabeth Severance Allen. This facility serves as exhibition space and storage facilities for the College's three major art bequests (Charles Olney, Charles Martin Hall, and Charles L. Freer). Incorporated in the Allen Memorial Art Museum is studio space, a library, and classrooms. In 1937 money was pledged for a new wing for the museum, which houses additional studios, classrooms and administrative offices. In 1938 Curator Hazel Barker King began the volunteer society, Oberlin Friends of Art. Revenue from member dues was used to purchase works of art. Two major donations (R.T. Miller, Jr. and Elizabeth Severance Allen Prentiss) allowed the Museum to develop an acquisition policy in the 1940s. During the period from 1940 to the mid-1970s the Allen Art Museum emerged as one of the country's finest college art museums. In 1977, a new wing, designed by Robert Venturi was added to the Museum.
From the description of Records, 1899-1992. (Oberlin College Library). WorldCat record id: 26533452
Campus art gallery of Oberlin College.
From the description of Allen Memorial Art Museum records, 1916-1967. (Unknown). WorldCat record id: 122502614