San Francisco's Keneseth Israel was an Orthodox congregation, founded in the city's South of Market District, in 1903/1904. After the 1906 earthquake and fire, the congregation's synagogue moved to the Fillmore-McAllister District. Its membership dwindled as the city's Jewish neighborhoods shifted to other parts of the city. In the 1970s, the building was sold to the San Francisco Redevelopment Agency. Eventually, the synagogue was razed and the land that it sat on was used for housing the elderly. The congregation moved to the Jack Tar (now Cathedral Hill) Hotel. The congregation still exists in downtown San Francisco.
From the description of Congregation Keneseth Israel records, 1962-1973. (Unknown). WorldCat record id: 71129477