Alfred R. Bader, a chemical engineer and former student of R.B. Woodward co-founded Aldrich Chemical Company in 1951 as a supplier of chemicals for research purposes. The company specialized in organic compounds. He became sole proprietor in 1955 and ten years later took the company public with the first of several stock offers. In 1975, wishing to gain a share in the lucrative biochemical industry he merged his company with the larger Sigma International, Ltd. He officially retired from Sigma-Aldrich in 1992 and has since pursued his interests in fine art both as dealer and as historian.
From the description of The Aldrich Chemical Company collection, 1945-2001 (bulk 1951-1980) (Chemical Heritage Foundation). WorldCat record id: 166429391