The Educational Commission of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South was established by the General Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church South in 1914 to consider plans for establishing two universities with theology departments to be owned and controlled by the Church. Upon recommendation of the Educational Commission, the General Conference severed ties with Vanderbilt University and supported the expansion of Emory College at Oxford, Ga., to become Emory University in Atlanta, Ga., in 1915.
From the description of Methodist Episcopal Church, South Educational Commission records, 1914-1918. (Unknown). WorldCat record id: 770414559