A.A. (Alexander Aimwell) Cantin was born March 4, 1874 and died ca. 1964. He built a number of building on the campus of the College of Marin, including the Science Building, the first permanent building on campus ( http://www.marin.cc.ca.us/lrc/photos/archive2.html) . He is possibly best know for being the lead architect (while working at the firm of Miller and Pflueger) on the twenty-six-story, Coast Division Building of the Pacific Telephone and Telegraph Company at 140 New Montgomery Street, San Francisco, CA. He is also known for the number of movie theaters he designed in the 1920s and 1930s. He was received his architectural license in 1901, and was a member of the AIA, with over forty-eight years of active practice. Of lifelong interest to him was the design of decorative columns. He was awarded patents for several of his column designs.
A.M. (Alexander Mackenzie) Cantin, A.A.'s son, was born ca. January 21, 1909/1912 and died ca. 1972. He attended UC Berkeley's School of Architecture, and was granted an architectural license in 1945. He entered into practice with his father in 1948, in the firm Cantin, Cantin, and Edward B. Page. Collaborating after WWII, they designed schools, military housing and hospitals, and other primarily commercial structures throughout the California Bay Area.
From the guide to the A.A. and A.M. Cantin collection, 1933-1977, (Environmental Design Archives College of Environmental Design)