Ohio. Division of Public Works
Variant namesHide Profile
The duties of the Department of Public Works originated in 1822 with the Board of Canal Commissioners. The Board of Canal Commissioners became the Board of Public Works in 1836 and was replaced by the Canal Commission in 1838. The Board of Public Works was recreated in 1839 and was replaced by the Superintendent of Public Works in 1912. In 1921, the powers and duties of the superintendent, the state highway commissioner, the chief highway engineer, and the state building commissioner were invested in the Department of Highways and Public Works. This department was separated in 1927 to create the Department of Highways and the Department of Public Works. This agency also absorbed the Superintendent of the National Road (1831-1836), the Canal Survey Commission (1888-1906), and the State Building Commission (1898-1921). In 1973, the Department of Public Works became the Division of Public Works of the Department of Administrative Services.
From the description of Minutes and directors' journals ; and, Board of Park Commissioners minutes, 1822-1976. (Ohio Historical Society). WorldCat record id: 34888809
From the description of Deputy directors' correspondence (reading files), 1968-1984. (Ohio Historical Society). WorldCat record id: 34888793
Filters:
Relation | Name |
---|---|
associatedWith | Central State University (Wilberforce, Ohio) |
associatedWith | Ohio Canal Commission. |
associatedWith | Ohio Expositions Center |
associatedWith | Ohio State Capitol (Columbus, Ohio) |
associatedWith | Ohio State Office Building (Columbus, Ohio) |
associatedWith | Ohio. Board of Canal Commissioners. |
correspondedWith | Ohio. Board of Park Commissioners |
associatedWith | Ohio. Board of Public Works (1836-1912). |
associatedWith | Ohio. Dept. of Highways and Public Works. |
associatedWith | Ohio. Dept. of Highways and Public Works. |
Corporate Body
Variant Names
Shared Related Resources
Ohio. Division of Public Works
Ohio. Division of Public Works | Title |
---|