Colliver, George

Hide Profile

Biography / Administrative History

The Chinese Christian Center began as the Chinese Methodist Episcopal Mission which was established as a Methodist Home Mission Project on Hunter Street in Stockton, California in 1905. In 1925 the Mission moved to Lafayette Street and was renamed the Chinese Christian Center in 1941. From 1930-1934 Lim P. Lee was the student pastor of the Mission and was responsible for starting the Boy Scout troop which led to the eventual formation of a boys' club at the local YMCA. Lee was a former student of Rev. Dr. George H. Colliver, who was a professor at the College of the Pacific. In 1936 Dr. Colliver took leadership of the Mission when he was appointed pastor from 1936-1949. Bishop Wilbur Wong Yan Choy was the Associate Pastor of the Center from 1943-1949 and pastor from 1954-1959. In 1955 the Center moved to South San Joaquin Street.

From the guide to the Stockton Chinese Christian Center collection, 1935-1954, (University of the Pacific. Library. Holt-Atherton Dept. of Special Collections)

Archival Resources
Role Title Holding Repository
creatorOf Stockton Chinese Christian Center collection, 1935-1954 University of the Pacific. Library. Holt-Atherton Department of Special Collections
Role Title Holding Repository
Relation Name
associatedWith Methodist Episcopal Church corporateBody
Place Name Admin Code Country
Subject
Chinese Americans
Occupation
Activity

Person

Related Descriptions
Information

Permalink: http://n2t.net/ark:/99166/w6nm5nfh

Ark ID: w6nm5nfh

SNAC ID: 39500985