Luis E. Armijo, son of Enrique Armijo and Maria J. de Armijo, was born and reared in the Las Vegas, New Mexico area. He attended New Mexico Military Institute, graduating in 1908. Upon completion of his secondary education he returned to Las Vegas, where he studied law under former Supreme Court Justice Elisha V. Long, subsequently gaining admission to the State Bar in 1914. In 1913 Luis married Eugenia Delgado.
Prior to his admission to the State Bar, Luis Armijo served as a member of the Las Vegas School Board of Education; Las Vegas Town Clerk; Editor of "El Independiente newspaper; and Court Interpreter for the Fourth Judicial District Court. He eventually took full control of the legal firm established by Judge Long, being closely allied with Octaviano A. Larrazolo. Armijo also actively participated in Republican party affairs.
Armijo also served the Fourth Judicial District as Assistant District Attorney (1917-1919), District Attorney (1920-1925), and Judge (1926-1936).
From the guide to the Luis E. Armijo Papers, 1869-1938, (New Mexico State Records Center and Archives)