The Brooklyn Chess Club was founded in 1869 for the purpose of promoting chess as a recreational activity. The club's regular meetings were held on the first Saturday of each month and it also organized and promoted an annual chess tournament. The club's original headquarters was located at 315 Washington Avenue and moved to 201 Montague Street in 1892. As of 2011, an organization exists that calls itself the Brooklyn Chess Club, though it is unclear whether this club is directly related to the Brooklyn Chess Club of the 19th and early-20th centuries.
From the guide to the Brooklyn Chess Club visitor's book, 1886-1928, (Brooklyn Historical Society)