University of Michigan. Research Club.
The Research Club of the University of Michigan was founded in 1900 as the "Society for Promotion of Research at the University of Michigan." In its constitution, adopted on February 15, 1900, the club first articulated its goal: "to unite those members of the academic staff of the university who are actively engaged in research, and to originate and support such measures as are calculated to foster and advance research in the university."
According to W.H. Hobb's history of the Research Club, the Research Club was the brainchild of Drs. Frederick C. Newcombe and Jacob E. Reighard; and the first meeting of the club was held at the home of Dr. Victor C. Vaughn on January 6, 1900, with four others present.
Sixteen charter members elected Vaughn as the club's first president. Membership required nomination by two current Research Club members, and a subsequent ballot by a committee of eight, with one dissenting vote excluding a nominee from membership. Current membership goes through one of five divisional selection committees that then present nominees to the Council.
From the beginning, the organization excluded women, who organized their own Women's Research Club in October of 1902. A separate Junior Research Club (later called the Science Research Club) for younger faculty members was also established in October of 1902.
The Research Club has typically held monthly meetings during the academic year, with two faculty members presenting on their research projects. The club has also supported the research of graduate students, sponsoring since 1933 monetary loans and then grants for dissertation research.
When the Henry Russel Lectureship was established by endowment in 1925, the Regents of the University delegated responsibility for the selection of the annual lecturer to the Executive Board of the Research Club, and the Research Club maintains that responsibility.
From the guide to the Research Club (University of Michigan) records, 1900-1990, (Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan)
|referencedIn||Horace L. Wilgus Papers, 1878-1935||Bentley Historical Library , University of Michigan|
|referencedIn||George G. Cameron papers, 1952-1978||Bentley Historical Library , University of Michigan|
|referencedIn||Women's Research Club (University of Michigan) records, 1902-1999||Bentley Historical Library , University of Michigan|
|creatorOf||Research Club (University of Michigan) records, 1900-1990||Bentley Historical Library , University of Michigan|
|referencedIn||Arthur Lyon Cross Papers, 1897-1940||Bentley Historical Library , University of Michigan|
|referencedIn||Edward Henry Kraus Papers, 1875-1973||Bentley Historical Library , University of Michigan|
|referencedIn||Kraus, Edward Henry, 1875-1973. Edward H. Kraus papers, 1904-1970.||University of Michigan, Bentley Historical Library|
|associatedWith||Cameron, George Glenn, 1905-||person|
|associatedWith||Cross, Arthur Lyon, 1873-1940||person|
|associatedWith||Kraus, Edward Henry, 1875-1973.||person|
|associatedWith||University of Michigan||corporateBody|
|associatedWith||Wilgus, Horace L. (Horace La Fayette), 1859-1935||person|
|associatedWith||Women's Research Club (University of Michigan)||corporateBody|
|Place Name||Admin Code||Country|