The United Spanish War Veterans (USWV) was founded in 1904. It was formed upon the union of several Spanish-American War groups including: the National Army and Navy Spanish-American War Veterans; the National Association of Spanish-American War Veterans; and the Service Men of the Spanish War. Those eligible to join the organization included all military personnel who served during the Spanish-American War, and had been honorably discharged or continued to serve in the armed forces, and non-military personnel who served honorably during the war. The USWV existed until 1992, when its last member died in Phoenix, Arizona. At the national level, the group maintained headquarters in Washington D.C. State organizations were called Departments, and at the local level groups were arranged into Camps. Camps were named for significant participants in the War. The Atlantic City group was named for John J. Astor. Astor served as a Lieutenant Colonel of a United States volunteer battalion, which he personally financed, in Cuba. His yacht, the Nourmahal, was also used by the United States government in the War. Astor died in the sinking of the Titanic on April 14, 1912. Veterans groups such as Camp 28 held meetings and events at the All Wars Memorial Building, located at 814 Pacific Avenue. The building was opened on April 24, 1924 and boasted a 600-seat auditorium and a dining room that seated 280.
From the description of Col. John Jacob Astor Camp 28 United Spanish War Veterans Records. (Atlantic City Free Public Library). WorldCat record id: 759106029