Maxwell Land Grant Company

Variant names

Hide Profile

Commercial association with headquarters in Amsterdam and offices in New Mexico and Colorado. Involved in mining, timber, coal, farming, irrigation projects.

From the description of Coal reports, 1891-1901. (Denver Public Library). WorldCat record id: 54053445

On January 8, 1841, Guadalupe Miranda and Charles Hipolite Trotier de Beaubien petitioned Governor Manuel Armijo for a tract of land, which Armijo granted two years later. Miranda moved to Mexico and offered Beaubien his share of the land. Beaubien was not interested but his son-in-law, Lucien Maxwell was. On June 30, 1879, the property was sold to Jerome Chaffee, George Chilcott, and Charles Holly, who had been negotiating with a group of British capitalists who were interested in the land. Prominant New Mexicans were chosen to "front" for the English investors and file for incorporation as the Maxwell Land Grant and Railway Company. After this Company collapsed the Maxwell Land Grant Company, was organized. The Maxwell Land Grant Co. was a joint-stock commercial association, with its headquarters in Amsterdam and offices in N.M. and Colo. The Company was involved in activities including mining, timber, coal, farming, irrigation projects, plaster and cement manufacturing. By 1960, the company sold off most of its land. As of 1980, the Maxwell Land Grant Company existed in the Netherlands under the name of De Maxwell Petroleum Holding N.V., Amsterdam. From the earliest days, when the Ute and Jicarilla Apaches considered the land theirs, Beaubien/Miranda or Maxwell Land Grant has been controversial. The United States and the Maxwell Land Grant Company went to court over the "fraudulent" boundaries in 1887. The Maxwell Land Grant company won the case and the decision was confirmed by the Supreme Court in 1887.

From the description of Records, 1872-1966. (University of New Mexico-Main Campus). WorldCat record id: 38873448

From the guide to the Maxwell Land Grant Company Photograph Collection, 1870-1920, (Center for Southwest Research, University of New Mexico.)

Certification of record of filing of original articles of association for the Maxwell Land Grant Company, signed by J. W. Raynolds, Secretary of New Mexico, 1902. Part of MSS 147 BC (Item 2.5).

On January 8, 1841, Guadalupe Miranda and Charles Hipolite Trotier de Beaubien petitioned Governor Manuel Armijo of Santa Fe for a tract of land. Two years later, Armijo granted them the property. Lucien Bonaparte Maxwell arrived in Taos in 1841. He married Luz Beaubien, daughter of Charles Beaubien, in 1844. Within a few years, Miranda had moved to Mexico, and offered Beaubien his share of the land. Beaubien was not interested, but his son-in-law, Lucien Maxwell seized the opportunity. In 1858, Miranda's property was signed over to Maxwell for the sum of $2,745. This was the first step in making Lucien Maxwell the largest individual land owner in the history of the United States.

On May 6, 1869, the option to the Maxwell Land Grant was sold to Jerome Chaffee, George Chilcott, and Charles Holly by Lucien and Luz Beaubien Maxwell. On June 12, 1870, Maxwell was notified that Chaffee and the others had elected to exercise the option to purchase, and that arrangements had been made for them to buy the property for $1,350,000. On June 30, 1870, the transaction was completed.

Chaffee, Chilcott, and Holly had been negotiating with a group of British capitalists who were interested in the land. They organized under New Mexico laws. Prominant New Mexicans, William A. Pile, Thomas Rush Spencer and John S. Watts were chosen to "front" for the English investors and file for incorporation as the Maxwell Land Grant and Railway Company. Within 10 years, the Maxwell Land Grant and Railway Company had collapsed.

On May 3, 1880, the Maxwell Land Grant Company, was organized under the laws of Holland. The Maxwell Land Grant Co. was a joint-stock commercial association, with its headquarters in Amsterdam and offices in New Mexico (Cimarron) and Colorado. The articles of association state that the purpose of the Maxwell Land Grant Co. was to "acquire ownership of, and to administer the landed property... originally known under the name of the Beaubien and Miranda Grant and afterwards as the Maxwell Estate, together with all the mines, arable lands, forests, buildings, etc. found thereon and all the products, yield and increase thereof, to sell and trade in the same ... or ... to dispose of the said property or any part thereof; with observance, however, of the provisions of the Deed of Mortgage... [and] to do whatsoever the said Association shall be lawfully entitled to do as owner thereof." The Company was involved in activities including mining, timber, coal, farming, irrigation projects, plaster and cement manufacturing. By 1960, the company sold off most of its land and retired from northern New Mexico. As of 1980, the Maxwell Land Grant Company existed in the Netherlands under the name of De Maxwell Petroleum Holding N.V., Amsterdam.

From the earliest days, when the Ute and Jicarilla Apaches considered the land theirs, Beaubien/Miranda or Maxwell Land Grant has been controversial. At its maximum, this grant contained a disputed 1,714,764.93 acres. The United States and the Maxwell Land Grant Co. went to court over the "fraudulent" boundaries in 1887. The Maxwell Land Grant Co. won the case, its title cleared. The decision was confirmed by the Supreme Court in 1887. Familiar New Mexicans who were investors with the Maxwell Land Grant Co. include Stephen Elkins, Frank Springer, Thomas Catron.

From the guide to the Maxwell Land Grant Company Records, 1872-1966, (University of New Mexico. Center for Southwest Research.)

Archival Resources
Role Title Holding Repository
creatorOf Maxwell Land Grant Company Collection, 1871-1929 University of Arizona Libraries, Library Special Collections
creatorOf Maxwell Land Grant Company. Maps of Cimarron, New Mexico, 1871. Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
referencedIn Springer Cement Company. Stock certificate, 1884 Apr 28. Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
creatorOf Maxwell Land Grant Company. Maxwell Land Grant Company Photograph Collection [Picture]. University of New Mexico-Main Campus
referencedIn Maxwell Land Grant Co., plaintiff in error, versus John B. Dawson, defendant in error 1897 : error to the Fourth Judicial District Court, County of San Miguel, transcript. Denver Public Library, Central Library
creatorOf Maxwell Land Grant Company. Records, 1872-1966. University of New Mexico-Main Campus
creatorOf Maxwell Land Grant Company. Coal reports, 1891-1901. Denver Public Library, Central Library
creatorOf Maxwell Land Grant Company. Maxwell Land Grant Company records, 1882-1888 [microform]. New Mexico State Library
referencedIn Henry A. Kiker Papers, 1888-1930 New Mexico State Records Center and Archives
referencedIn Kiker, Henry A. Henry A. Kiker papers, 1879-1934, (bulk 1901-1934). University of New Mexico-Main Campus
creatorOf Maxwell Land Grant Company Records, 1872-1966 The University of New Mexico, University Libraries, Center for SouthwestResearch
referencedIn Henry A. Kiker Papers, 1879-1934, 1901-1934 University Libraries, Center for Southwest Research.
creatorOf Maxwell Land Grant Company. Maps of Cimarron, New Mexico, 1871. Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
creatorOf Maxwell Land Grant Company. Maxwell Land Grant Company collection, 1871-1929. University of Arizona Libraries
creatorOf Maxwell Land Grant Company Photograph Collection, 1870-1920 The University of New Mexico, University Libraries, Center for SouthwestResearch
referencedIn Avery, Cyrus S.,. Land rights records for property included in the Maxwell Land Grant, c. 1882-1930. Huntington Library, Art Collections & Botanical Gardens
referencedIn S.W. DeBusk : [collection] : 1885-1900. History Colorado
referencedIn Springer Cement Company. Stock certificate, 1884 Apr 28. Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library
referencedIn Kiker, Henry A. Henry A. Kiker papers, 1888-1930. New Mexico State Library
Role Title Holding Repository
Relation Name
associatedWith Beaubien, Charles. person
associatedWith Billy, the Kid person
associatedWith Billy, the Kid person
associatedWith Carson, "Kit" person
associatedWith Carson, Kit, 1809-1868 person
associatedWith Ketchum, Black Jack, 1865 or 6-1901 person
associatedWith Kiker, Henry A. person
associatedWith Kiker, Henry A. person
associatedWith Kiker, Henry A. person
associatedWith Kiker, Henry A. family
associatedWith Maxwell Land Grant and Railway Co. corporateBody
associatedWith Maxwell Land Grant and Railway Company corporateBody
associatedWith Maxwell Land Grant (N.M. and Colo.) corporateBody
associatedWith Maxwell, Lucien Bonaparte, 1818-1875 person
associatedWith Miranda, Guadalupe. person
associatedWith Springer Cement Company. corporateBody
associatedWith Springer Cement Company. corporateBody
Place Name Admin Code Country
Maxwell Land Grant (N.M. and Colo.)
Colorado
Colorado
Colfax County (N.M.)
Cimarron (N.M.)
New Mexico
New Mexico
New Mexico
Cimarron (N.M.)
New Mexico--Cimarron
Maxwell Land Grant (N.M. and Colo.)
New Mexico--Colfax County
Maxwell Land Grant (N.M. and Colo.)
Colfax County (N.M.)
New Mexico
Maxwell Land Grant (N.M. and Colo.)
New Mexico
Maxwell Land Grant (N.M. and Colo.)
Colfax County (N.M.)
Maxwell Land Grant (N.M. and Colo.)
Subject
Agriculture
Agriculture
Business enterprises
Coal mines and mining
Frontier and pioneer life
Frontier and pioneer life
Hanging
Hangings
Irrigation
Irrigation
Labor unions
Labor unions
Land grants
Land grants
Land grants
Land grants
Land tenure
Land tenure
Land use
Land use
Lumber trade
Lumber trade
Mining
Mining corporations
Mining corporations
Railroad stations
Railroad stations
Ranches
Ranches
Schools
Schools
Occupation
Activity

Corporate Body

Active 1870

Active 1920

English,

Dutch; Flemish

Information

Permalink: http://n2t.net/ark:/99166/w6nc9q9n

Ark ID: w6nc9q9n

SNAC ID: 34164790