The Seneca Methodist Episcopal Church originated in 1857 as the Holton Mission of the Kansas-Nebraska circuit, Methodist Episcopal Church. The first quarterly meeting was held at the home of Mrs. Burgraves of Turkey Creek on July 12, 1858. In June of 1859, the name of the circuit was changed to the Central City Mission and the jurisdiction was changed to include all of Nemaha County and part of Brown County. The Pastor was Asbury Clark and the presiding elder was Joseph Denison. In 1860 the circuit name was changed to the Seneca Mission. Beginning in 1870 services were held in the Universalist Church. From 1872 through 1874, they were moved to a school house. By the fall of 1875, the congregation decided to build its own church, and construction began in December. The Pastor was Rev. J.A. Amos. Shortly after construction began, there was a financial scandal involving one of the benefactors of the project which threatened completion of the building. By the winter of 1876 the new Methodist Church on Main Street was completed with Rev. N. Taylor as the pastor. The congregation elected a new corps of trustees for the new church building in 1877. By the 1890's the congregation had grown and a newer, larger church building was required. It was completed in May of 1893 at a cost of $ 9,000.
From the description of Seneca Methodist Episcopal Church (Seneca, Kan.) records [microform], 1874-1926. (Kansas State Historical Society). WorldCat record id: 52995514