The title Earl of Galloway was created in the Peerage of Scotland in 1623 for Alexander Stewart. The Earl also holds the subsidiarys title of Lord Garlies (created 1607) and Baron Stewart of Garlies (1796). The former is in the Peerage of Scotland, and the latter in the Peerage of Great Britain. Galloway House, situated near the village of Garlieston in Wigtownshire, Scotland, was established in the 1740s by Alexander Stewart, Lord Garlies (ca. 1694-1773), later the 6th Earl of Galloway, and it soon became an important seat of the Galloway earls. The house was built for £2,000, and the 6th Earl planted 200,000 trees per annum on the estate. As a noted agricultural improver, he opted for larger farms, which he often took over at the end of a lease and re-let them at a much higher rent. Successive earls developed the house, gardens and surrounding parkland, and were also active philanthropists in the local area.
From the description of Catalog of the Earl of Galloway's library at Galloway House [manuscript], Wigtownshire, Scotland, ca. 1797-1837. (Unknown). WorldCat record id: 85216233