The Savannah, Georgia, Park and Tree Commission was created in December, 1895. One of the first endeavors of the commission was the restoration of Colonial Park cemetery. One of the burying grounds for early Savannah, Colonial Cemetery was already in need of expansion by 1762. After being closed to burials in 1853, the maintenance of the cemetery began to decline. Over the years, several efforts were made to clean and to repair the cemetery. Other projects included building the mall and adding the live oaks along Oglethorpe Avenue, Emmet Park, and the replanting and fertilization of all city squares.
From the description of Savannah (Ga.) Park and Tree Commission photographs of Colonial Cemetery, 1896-1897. (Unknown). WorldCat record id: 43886823