The Chicago Lying-In Hospital and Dispensary was organized on January 20, 1897 as a non-profit corporation with the purpose of providing care to women during pregnancy as well as giving instruction and training to medical and nursing students. It was located on the northeast corner of East 59th Street and South Maryland Avenue, and included a Nurses’ Home at 5737-5739 and 5741-5743 S. Drexel Avenue and the Stock Yards Dispensary at 734 West 47th Street. On January 1, 1927, the Hospital and the University of Chicago became affiliated. The Hospital was to serve as the obstetrical and gynecological unit of the University’s medical center. The Hospital began leasing its space from the University in 1929. In 1938 the Hospital officially became part of the University of Chicago, its first president was Mrs. Herbert Sanborn.
From the guide to the University of Chicago. Chicago Lying-In Hospital. Records, 1913-1943, (Special Collections Research Center University of Chicago Library 1100 East 57th Street Chicago, Illinois 60637 U.S.A.)