Charles A. McDaniel and John M. Richardson founded Bowdon College in 1856. It was Georgia's first coeducational institution and fifth chartered institution of higher education. The school was founded with hopes that it could provide higher education for men of limited financial means. Richardson, who had a military background from The Citadel, procured 100 rifles and 100 swords to conduct military training at Bowdon prior to the Civil War. When the war broke out, numerous students left to fight. McDaniel served as a captain of Cobb's Legion, the 41st Georgia Company, and was killed during his service. Richardson lost a leg during the war, but lived for many years, calling the formation of Bowdon College one of "earnest action and noble purpose." In 1899, a two-story brick building replaced the old college structure and it is this image that many associate with the Bowdon College legacy today. Despite economic hardships, the college remained an outlet for bettering the lives of students until it was forced to close its doors in 1936. In 2006, the University of West Georgia, alumni of Bowdon College, and Bowdon's residents joined to celebrate Bowdon's Founders Day.
From the description of [Bowdon College]. 1858-2006. (University of West Georgia). WorldCat record id: 645806011