The origins of the University of Bradford are in the Bradford Technical College, established in 1882. In 1957 the Bradford Institute of Technology was established as a College of Advanced Technology to take over the advanced work of Bradford Technical College. The Robbins Committee recommended in 1963 that CATs should receive university status, and the University of Bradford received its Royal Charter on 18 October 1966. The University's purpose was defined as "the advancement of learning and knowledge and the application of knowledge to human welfare, and in particular (although without prejudice to the foregoing) study and research in science and technology and collaboration for the furtherance of these objects with industry, commerce, the professions and other institutions." The first Vice-Chancellor was Dr E.G. Edwards, who had been Principal of the Bradford Institute of Technology.
Today the University has around 6,300 full-time undergraduates and around 800 full-time postgraduates. It has over 130 degree courses at undergraduate level and around 80 at postgraduate level. These are spread across the seven Academic Schools of Archaeological and Environmental Sciences, Engineering, Health Studies, Informatics, Life Sciences, Management, and Social and International Studies. Part-time and short courses are available through the University's School of Lifelong Education and Development.
From the guide to the The University of Bradford Archive, 1966-[ongoing], (GB 532 Bradford University Library)