Austin Wells Holden (1819-1891) wrote extensively on the history of the Glens Falls region and is best known as author of the book, A History of the Town of Queensbury, published in 1874. Austin Holden was born in White Creek, Washington County, New York. His family moved to Potsdam when he was young, but in 1836 they settled in Glens Falls. In 1848 he graduated from Albany Medical College and opened his medical practice in Warrensburg. In 1851 he married Elizabeth Buell. Holden became a homeopathic physician, and for several years starting in the late 1870's he served as Chief of Staff and Director of the Homeopathic Hospital on Ward's Island in New York City.
Austin Holden was one of the organizers of the 22nd Regiment of New York Volunteers in 1861. He served that regiment first as Captain of Company F and then as Assistant Surgeon. Following the mustering out of the 22nd Regiment in 1863, he served as Assistant Surgeon of the United States Army until the close of the Civil War. He was a prominent civic leader, representing Warren County in the New York State Assembly in 1874, serving on the Queensbury Board of Education, and becoming a leading advocate of temperance. He was active in several societies, especially the Masons, but also including the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.
Like his father Austin Wells Holden, James Holden (1861-1918) was a prolific writer on historical topics. James Holden served as Treasurer and Librarian of the New York State Historical Association. From 1911 to 1916 he was the New York State Historian. He was involved with newspapers and became editor of the Glens Falls Daily Times. He was one of the original stockholders of the Empire Theater in Glens Falls and for a time was its manager. James Holden graduated from Glens Falls Academy in 1881 and from Williams College in 1885. He was a Trustee of the Village of Glens Falls, President of the Glens Falls Board of Education, was involved with fire companies in Glens Falls, a member of the Church of the Messiah (Episcopal) and of the Masons.
From the description of Holden papers, 1820-1918. (New York State Historical Documents). WorldCat record id: 155432997