The music program at Wesleyan University dates back to the early days of the institution, when informal singing groups performed for special occasions. As the program expanded and became more formalized, courses were offered, and in 1929 the Music Department was established. Performance groups came to include the Glee Club, the Chapel Choir, the Choral Society, the Jibers, the Cardinals, the Wesleyan Band, and a number of instrumental ensembles. During the 1950s, associate professor David McAllester introduced world music courses into the curriculum, and in 1966 the department established a doctoral program in ethnomusicology. Visiting artists from various regions around the world, including Africa, India, Indonesia, Japan, and Korea, have performed at the university.
From the description of Music Department records, 1863-[ongoing] (Wesleyan University). WorldCat record id: 752988050