Joseph Biegler founded Highland Hospital in 1889 as a six-bed hospital. Originally called Hahneman Homeopathic Hospital, it was known as the "rebel on the hill" because of its then-radical conviction that patients should be cared for as people, instead of as interesting specimens of illnesses or collections of symptoms. In 1921, the name was changed to Highland Hospital of Rochester due to its close proximity to Highland Park.
During its long tenure, Highland Hospital has had several "firsts." It was the first hospital in the United States to: use insulin in the treatment of diabetes (1922); use endocavitary irradiation as an alternative to colostomy surgery; and establish a clinical chemical laboratory. It was the first hospital in the county and only the third in New York State to have a Family Medicine department. Highland Hospital was the first hospital in the Rochester area to establish a family birthing center, and to allow fathers to be present at their babies' birth.
From the description of General collection, 1889- (New York State Historical Documents). WorldCat record id: 155407366