In 1949, Joseph Stein opened La Galeria de Los Artesanos in Las Vegas, New Mexico. It was an art gallery that sold a few books. In 1955, Joseph and Diana were married. In 1957, they moved the store from the Gazette Complex (which housed the Old Las Vegas Gazette) on Moreno street to the historic Veeder Building on the West Plaza. In 1975, they moved the store to its third and final location on the Plaza into the building that once housed the offices of the Louis C. Ilfeld law firm. The store became the venue for writers to have book signings and readings. The Steins were the resource for collectors to locate out-of-print books on Western Americana. The bookstore closed it's doors briefly in 1996 and then again in 2000 upon Joseph Stein's death, only to reopen again under Diana Stein's sole leadership.
From the description of La Galeria de Los Artesanos collection, 1953-2004. (Museum of New Mexico Library). WorldCat record id: 60686930