Illinois School for the Deaf.

The Illinois Asylum for the Education of the Deaf and Dumb was established (1839) at Jacksonville to admit all educable "deaf and dumb" individuals without charge. After initially being governed by a private board of directors, the state assumed full control (1849), and the school became the Illinois Institution for the Education of the Deaf and Dumb (1849-1903), and then the Illinois School for the Deaf (1903- ). The Board of State Commissioners of Public Charities originally held investigative authority over the institution (1869-1909); but administrative control was transferred to the Board of Administration (1909-1917). Subsequently the school was transferred to the Dept. of Public Welfare (1917-1961); Dept. of Mental Health (1961-1963); and Dept. of Children and Family Services (1963-1997). Services (1963-1997).

From the description of Session books, 1857-1903. (Illinois State Archive). WorldCat record id: 36644469

Publication Date Publishing Account Status Note View

2016-08-10 04:08:09 am

System Service

published

Details HRT Changes Compare

2016-08-10 04:08:09 am

System Service

ingest cpf

Initial ingest from EAC-CPF

Pre-Production Data