College Club
Name Entries
corporateBody
College Club
Name Components
Name :
College Club
Genders
Exist Dates
Biographical History
The College Club held its first meeting on December 15, 1890. An outgrowth of the Boston Branch of the Association of Collegiate Alumnae, the Club was incorporated on May 4, 1895, with the purpose of "establishing and maintaining a place for social meetings of college women." Meetings had been held in one room of 76 Marlborough Street for three years (1890-1893). After several moves to larger quarters the College Club bought its own house, at 40 Commonwealth Avenue, in 1905, and later purchased the neighboring houses (numbers 38, 42, and 44). This Clubhouse provided rooms for transient college women as well as a center for social functions. The many distinguished guest lecturers at Club meetings included Oliver Wendell Holmes, Alice Longfellow, Vida Scudder, Lucy Stone, Mark Twain, and Frances Willard. In 1955, the charter's statement of purpose was amended to read: "continuing and advancing the education of college women in public affairs, literature and the arts and of providing an opportunity for their participation in civic activities generally, and for the further purpose of providing a meeting place where its members may pursue the objectives of the Club through lectures, forums, discussions and meetings."
For detailed histories of the College Club, see Volume 29, the Anniversaries Book.
Since 1969, three of the houses have been sold; the Clubhouse is now located at 44 Commonwealth Avenue.
eng
Latn
External Related CPF
https://viaf.org/viaf/159066890
Other Entity IDs (Same As)
Sources
Loading ...
Resource Relations
Loading ...
Internal CPF Relations
Loading ...
Languages Used
Subjects
Clubs, College
Nationalities
Activities
Occupations
Legal Statuses
Places
Boston
AssociatedPlace
Convention Declarations
<conventionDeclaration><citation>VIAF</citation></conventionDeclaration>