Burnham and Root

Name Entries

Information

corporateBody

Name Entries *

Burnham and Root

Computed Name Heading

Name Components

Name :

Burnham and Root

Genders

Exist Dates

Exist Dates - Date Range

1950

active 1950

Active

-

1952

active 1952

Active

-

Biographical History

Daniel Burnham was born in Henderson, New York in 1846. He studied at the New Church School in Waltham, Massachusetts and received private tutoring. He worked for William Le Baron Jenney in his Chicago office for a short time. After several failed attempts in other businesses, he eventually joined the architectural firm of Carter, Drake and Wright. Burnham's future partner, John Wellborn Root was born in Lumpkin, Georgia, and raised in Atlanta. When Union troops occupied Atlanta in 1864, Root went to Liverpool, England to study at the Clare Mount School. In 1866, he returned to the United States and in 1869 he graduated in civil engineering from New York University. For several years, he worked in a series of offices in both New York and Chicago. Burnham and Root first met in 1872 in the Chicago offices of Carter, Drake, and Wright where both worked as draftsmen. In 1873 the two established a successful partnership. During their eighteen years together, Burnham and Root designed private houses for the Chicago elite, office buildings, apartment buildings, railroad stations, warehouses, schools, hospitals, and churches. Burnham managed the office and promoted sales while Root headed the design department. In addition to the Montezuma Hotel, they gained recognition by designing for the plan for the World's Columbian Exposition (the Chicago World's Fair) in 1891. Their buildings are known for their innovative structural components, detailed surface treatments, and the handling of interior and exterior volumes. From 1881-1883, the Montezuma Hotel was designed and construction overseen by the architectural firm of Burnham and Root. Commissioned by the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad, the hotel could be accessed by train at the entrance to Gallinas Canyon. In close proximity to a set of natural hot springs, the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad capitalized on this feature by piping mineral water directly into the hotel. The waters were praised for their curative powers, and the hotel soon became a draw for wealthy Easterners suffering from tuberculosis and other ailments. The hotel dining room, framed in stained glass windows and decorated by elaborate chandeliers, could accommodate five hundred guests. The resort attracted famous visitors, such as Emperor Hirohito and President Theodore Roosevelt. Constructed of shingles, wood and sandstone, it was the only hotel of its time to be lit entirely by electricity. Known for its medieval turrets and a tall, conical-shaped tower, the building is sometimes referred to as "Montezuma Castle." The hotel was built against a mountain, with two wings dedicated to guest rooms and quarters for staff. Despite its size, the building projected a rustic, almost residential feel.

The Montezuma Hotel has a difficult history. In 1884, it went up in flames, was rebuilt and was nearly burned to the ground again in 1885. Unfortunately, eight guests died in the fire. The hotel was rebuilt a third time and called "The Phoenix." Later, new owners restored the hotel to its original name. In 1903, the Montezuma Hotel closed and the building was used occasionally until 1922. At this point, the Baptist Church of New Mexico obtained possession and the building was reincarnated as Montezuma College. Plagued by financial problems, brought on by the Great Depression, the school closed its doors in 1931. The building again stood vacant for several years, until the Catholic Church purchased it in 1936. At this time, the Jesuits assumed residency and the hotel became a seminary, where young men were trained for the priesthood until 1972. The building then sat empty for a decade and was subject to vandalism and decay. However, the Jesuits made a little money renting the building out as a set for the low budget horror movie The Evil in 1978. In 1981, the Montezuma was purchased by industrialist and philanthropist Armand Hammer for use as a United World College. In 1997, it was placed on the list of America's Most Endangered Places by the National Trust for Historic Preservation. In 2000 and 2001, the school invested over ten million dollars restoring the building, and it has won awards as one of the great historical restorations in the United States. It is also the first historic property west of the Mississippi to be designated one of "America's Treasures" by the White House Millennium Council. While many of the building's magnificent interior and exterior details were restored, modern touches were added, including two eight-foot glass sculptures designed specifically for the hotel's enormous dining room by artist Dale Chihuly. Today, the United World College offers free tours of the building.

From the description of Burnham and Root Montezuma hotel drawings, 1881-1883. (University of New Mexico-Main Campus). WorldCat record id: 301591652

Daniel Burnham was born in Henderson, New York in 1846. He studied at the New Church School in Waltham, Massachusetts and received private tutoring. He worked for William Le Baron Jenney in his Chicago office for a short time. After several failed attempts in other businesses, he eventually joined the architectural firm of Carter, Drake and Wright. Burnham’s future partner, John Wellborn Root was born in Lumpkin, Georgia, and raised in Atlanta. When Union troops occupied Atlanta in 1864, Root went to Liverpool, England to study at the Clare Mount School. In 1866, he returned to the United States and in 1869 he graduated in civil engineering from New York University. For several years, he worked in a series of offices in both New York and Chicago.

Burnham and Root first met in 1872 in the Chicago offices of Carter, Drake, and Wright where both worked as draftsmen. In 1873 the two established a successful partnership. During their eighteen years together, Burnham and Root designed private houses for the Chicago elite, office buildings, apartment buildings, railroad stations, warehouses, schools, hospitals, and churches. Burnham managed the office and promoted sales while Root headed the design department. In addition to the Montezuma Hotel, they gained recognition by designing for the plan for the World’s Columbian Exposition (the Chicago World’s Fair) in 1891.Their buildings are known for their innovative structural components, detailed surface treatments, and the handling of interior and exterior volumes.

From 1881-1883, the Montezuma Hotel was designed and construction overseen by the architectural firm of Burnham and Root. Commissioned by the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Re Railroad, the hotel could be accessed by train at the entrance to Gallinas Canyon. In close proximity to a set of natural hot springs, the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad capitalized on this feature by piping mineral water directly into the hotel. The waters were praised for their curative powers, and the hotel soon became a draw for wealthy Easterners suffering from tuberculosis and other ailments. The hotel dining room, framed in stained glass windows and decorated by elaborate chandeliers, could accommodate five hundred guests. The resort attracted famous visitors, such as Emperor Hirohito and President Theodore Roosevelt. Constructed of shingles, wood and sandstone, it was the only hotel of its time to be lit entirely by electricity. Known for its medieval turrets and a tall, conical-shaped tower, the building is sometimes referred to as “Montezuma Castle." The hotel was built against a mountain, with two wings dedicated to guest rooms and quarters for staff. Despite its size, the building projected a rustic, almost residential feel.

The Montezuma Hotel has a difficult history. In 1884, it went up in flames, was rebuilt and was nearly burned to the ground again in 1885. Unfortunately, eight guests died in the fire. The hotel was rebuilt a third time and called “The Phoenix." Later, new owners restored the hotel to its original name. In 1903, the Montezuma Hotel closed and the building was used occasionally until 1922. At this point, the Baptist Church of New Mexico obtained possession and the building was reincarnated as Montezuma College. Plagued by financial problems, brought on by the Great Depression, the school closed its doors in 1931. The building again stood vacant for several years, until the Catholic Church purchased it in 1936. At this time, the Jesuits assumed residency and the hotel became a seminary, where young men were trained for the priesthood until 1972. The building then sat empty for a decade and was subject to vandalism and decay. However, the Jesuits made a little money renting the building out as a set for the low budget horror movie The Evil in 1978.

In 1981, the Montezuma was purchased by industrialist and philanthropist Armand Hammer for use as a United World College. In 1997, it was placed on the list of America’s Most Endangered Places by the National Trust for Historic Preservation. In 2000 and 2001, the school invested over ten million dollars restoring the building, and it has won awards as one of the great historical restorations in the United States. It is also the first historic property west of the Mississippi to be designated one of "America's Treasures" by the White House Millennium Council. While many of the building’s magnificent interior and exterior details were restored, modern touches were added, including two eight-foot glass sculptures designed specifically for the hotel’s enormous dining room by artist Dale Chihuly. Today, the United World College offers free tours of the building.

From the guide to the Burnham and Root Montezuma Hotel Drawings, 1881-1883, (University of New Mexico Center for Southwest Research)

eng

Latn

External Related CPF

https://viaf.org/viaf/126573466

https://www.worldcat.org/identities/lccn-nr90000296

https://id.loc.gov/authorities/nr90000296

Other Entity IDs (Same As)

Sources

Loading ...

Resource Relations

Loading ...

Internal CPF Relations

Loading ...

Languages Used

Subjects

Architectural Drawings

Architectural drawings--New Mexico

Architecture--Southwest, New

Architecture

Nationalities

Functions

Occupations

Legal Statuses

Places

Southwest, New

as recorded (not vetted)

AssociatedPlace

Montezuma Hotel (Hot Springs (N.M.))

as recorded (not vetted)

AssociatedPlace

Montezuma Hotel (Hot Springs (N.M.))

as recorded (not vetted)

AssociatedPlace

New Mexico

as recorded (not vetted)

AssociatedPlace

Convention Declarations

<conventionDeclaration><citation>VIAF</citation></conventionDeclaration>

General Contexts

Structure or Genealogies

Mandates

Identity Constellation Identifier(s)

w6jq4zp3

50030508