Phalon, Anna M.
Name Entries
person
Phalon, Anna M.
Name Components
Name :
Phalon, Anna M.
Genders
Exist Dates
Biographical History
The Wheeler-Merriam House is located at 477 Virginia Road, which lies in the eastern section of Concord, Massachusetts. The house is on a 35-acre lot on the southwest side of Pine Hill. It was built in 1692 by Sergeant Thomas Wheeler, a settler of Concord. Originally from Bedfordshire, England, he came to Concord in 1636. Thomas married Sarah Merriam in 1648. The house was built for his son Timothy and Timothy's wife Lydia Wheeler as a wedding present. Not long after its construction the house was assessed at 18 pounds--a significant property value at the time. Through the years, the house was passed down through the Wheeler family--first to Timothy, Jr. (b. 1696; d.1782), then nephew Abner Wheeler (b.1745; d.1820; an architect) and, finally, Abner's daughter and son-in-law Lucy and Joseph Merriam. After 1865, the house left the possession of the Wheeler-Merriam family. The Algeos became the owners and operated the property as a dairy farm and orchard name Pine Hill Farm. Part of the house was destroyed by fire in 1904. Nick Rodday took over the farm in the 1960s and renamed it Elm Brook Farm. It then became a riding school and a horse stable. Elm Brook Farm was bought by Maureen and Peter Markey, who offered hayrides, trail rides, riding lessons, parades, and picnics there. The Wheeler-Merriam House is located in a particularly historical Concord neighborhood. In 1678, Sergeant Thomas Wheeler built the Breen House next door at 341 Virginia Road as a wedding present for his son John and John's wife Sarah Stearns. In 1817, 341 Virginia Road became the birthplace of Concord author Henry David Thoreau. In 1980, Anna M. ("Nancy") Phalon took a special interest in the house, which was bought by her daughter Maureen Markey. Her personal connection to the Wheeler-Merriam House led to the extensive research which comprises this collection. Her hope was that her research would provide adequate documentation to place the house on the National Register of Historic Places. On November 28, 1982, the house was accepted and certified as a national historic site.
eng
Latn
External Related CPF
Other Entity IDs (Same As)
Sources
Loading ...
Resource Relations
Loading ...
Internal CPF Relations
Loading ...
Languages Used
Subjects
Deeds
Historic buildings
Historic sites
Probate record
Nationalities
Activities
Occupations
Legal Statuses
Places
Massachusetts--Concord
AssociatedPlace