Maryland. Training School for Colored Girls. Board of Managers.

Hide Profile

The Maryland Training School for Colored Girls was first incorporated in 1882 as the Industrial Home for Colored Girls for the "care, reformation, and instruction of colored female minors" (Laws of 1882, ch. 291). Although it was a private institution, the governor appointed two members of its board of trustees, and the Baltimore City mayor appointed two others.

The Industrial Home for Colored Girls was purchased by the state in 1931 and renamed the Maryland Training School for Colored Girls (Laws of 1931, ch. 367). The new school was managed by a nine-member board appointed by the governor. Five of the nine were women. After the school reopened in 1933, the courts admitted twelve- to eighteen-year-old girls who had been "adjudged delinquent on the basis of violations of laws, incorrigibility, truancy, or immorality." The school attempted correction through education, including "academic, vocational, religious, recreational, and physical training."

In 1949, the General Assembly renamed the school the Barrett School for Girls, but it remained under the direction of its board of managers and its nature was unchanged (Laws of 1949, ch. 314).

From the description of Agency history record, 1931-1949. (Unknown). WorldCat record id: 122405852

Archival Resources
Role Title Holding Repository
Place Name Admin Code Country
African Americans
African American teenage girls
Female juvenile delinquents
Juvenile corrections
Juvenile delinquency

Corporate Body

Active 1931

Active 1949

Related Descriptions


Ark ID: w6wx413g

SNAC ID: 8070454