Ohio universityVariant names
Athena is the Ohio University yearbook. In 1918, a small pamphlet called Senior Scroll was published in lieu of a yearbook. In 1975, the name was changed to Spectrum Green . In 1984, it was changed back to Athena .
From the guide to the Collection of Athena yearbooks and records, 1892-2007, (Ohio University)
Phi Upsilon Omnicron is a national honor society in Family and Consumer Sciences. At the time these records were created, it was described as "a national home economics honorary fraternity."
From the guide to the Phi Upsilon Omnicron, Theta Chapter records, 1941-1971, (Ohio University)
Omicron Delta Kappa is a national leadership honor society. The Ohio University circle was installed in 1951. Prior to that, the group that became this circle was known as Torch, established in 1913.
From the guide to the Omicron Delta Kappa, Torch Circle records, 1923-1972, (Ohio University)
The Vice President for Research Division promotes Ohio University's research mission and manages the university's investment in scholarship and its relationships with external sponsors, including the protection and commercialization of intellectual property. The Vice President for Research staff helps advance and promote the creative achievements of the faculty, students, and staff. The division oversees the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs. The division was formerly titled the Research Institute.
From the guide to the Vice President for Research Division records, 1958-1996, (Ohio University)
The Angelos was published by the Ohio University student body during the summers of 1912 and 1913.
From the guide to the Collection of The Angelos magazine, 1912-1913, (Ohio University)
Ohio University Lockbourne Air Force Base Campus was established to provide military personnel and civilians of the surrounding area the opportunity to acquire two years of college experience and credit. It is unclear when the campus closed. The base closed in 1994.
From the guide to the Lockbourne Air Force Base Campus records, 1969, (Ohio University)
The Student Senate has gone by many names throughout its history: Student Council, Student Congress, Student Cabinet, Student Government Association and Student Governing Body. The Student Senate came into existence following the conclusion of the Student Governing Body in 1975.
From the guide to the Student Senate records, 1942-1989, (Ohio University)
In 1946, the governor of Ohio requested that Ohio universities accommodate all Ohioans who wanted to attend college. President John C. Baker recognized that Athens campus alone could not support the large influx of possible students created by World War II veterans returning home. OU developed "residence credit centers" in less congested parts of southeastern Ohio a site at Chillicothe.
From the guide to the Chillicothe Campus records, 1948-2002, (Ohio University)
Faculty meetings at Ohio University were taken over by the Faculty Advisory Council (FAC) around 1937. In 1964, the FAC developed into the Faculty Senate (FS). As of 2010, the FS defined itself "as sanctioned by the Ohio University Board of Trustees, is an elected representative body that acts on behalf of all faculty on matters related to University planning, governance, and resource allocation. The Senate maintains primary jurisdiction over curriculum and academic policies, and is an advocate for faculty views on all other University policies and practices."
From the guide to the Faculty Senate records, 1930-2001, (Ohio University)
Phi Alpha Theta is an international honor society in history.
From the guide to the Phi Alpha Theta records, 1965-1974, (Ohio University)
Psi Chi is the international honor society in psychology.
From the guide to the Psi Chi records, 1963, (Ohio University)
The Village newspaper was produced by the Ohio University School of Journalism and described as "a newspaper for married students and their families."
From the guide to the Collection of The Villager newspaper, 1949-1950, (Ohio University)
The Faculty Club of Ohio University originally was two clubs: one for men and one for women. These clubs began in the late 1920s as social clubs. In 1950, the constitution for a faculty club for both men and women was written.
From the guide to the Faculty Club records, 1925-1974, (Ohio University)
Ohio University's Manasseh Cutler Scholars Program is a merit scholarship program. The first awards were made for the 1996-1997 academic year.
From the guide to the Manasseh Cutler Scholars Program records, 1997-2004, (Ohio University)
George Runnells Kahler (GRK) was a Major League Baseball player who pitched for the Cleveland Naps from 1910 to 1914. He attended Ohio University from 1906 to 1909. After graduation, GRK was drafted by the Columbus Naps. While playing professional baseball, GRK coached OU baseball and football.
From the guide to the College on George Runnells Kahler, 1911-1961, (Ohio University)
The Student Pastorate (SP) was organized by the Board of the Co-operating Churches in 1920. The churches included the Methodist Church, Presbyterian Church, First Christian Church, and Baptist Church. In 1922, the SP created the Ohio Union School of Religion at Ohio University under the direction of Student Pastor.
From the guide to the Student Pastorate records, 1922-1924, (Ohio University)
This collection contains acquired materials regarding agreement between Ohio University and Chubu University which officially began in 1973. Chubu University is located in Kasugai City, Aichi Prefecture, Japan and was established in 1938 by Kohei Miura. The agreement between the two institutions began in 1973, but the materials within this collection begin in 1976, when Ohio University's President Ping traveled to Japan to meet The Chubu Institute of Technology's president, Kazuo Yamada. There are newspaper articles, campus photographs, pamphlets-both in English and Japanese-as well as a letter of greeting from President Yamada in traditional calligraphy. The collection also contains the bound version of the 1993 Cooperative Agreement between Ohio University and Chubu University, which marks the 20th Anniversary of the agreement between the two schools. Approximately 35% of the collection is in English. 65% of the materials are in Japanese.
From the guide to the Chubu University Collection, 1976-1993, (Ohio University)
Lotus was a sporadically published literary magazine.
From the guide to the Collection of Lotus magazine, 1968-1975, (Ohio University)
The Current was originally called The College Current in Volume II. Volume I was called Philoathenian.
From the guide to the Collection of The Current, 1887-1892, (Ohio University)
The Other Half Speaks: Reminiscences of Coal Town Women, 1900-1950, Athens County, Ohio is a project co-sponsored by Ohio University's Women's Studies, Athens County Historical Society and District 6 of the United Mine Workers of America. The project entailed recording oral histories from twenty-one women related to miners, and incorporating their stories into a dramatic reading.
From the guide to the Collection on "The Other Half Speaks", 1987-1990, (Ohio University)
Wax was a literary magazine published through the Honors Tutorial Collage at Ohio University. The format is poems printed on colored sheets of paper inside of a manila folder. It is unbound.
From the guide to the Collection of Wax magazine, 1972-1974, (Ohio University)
Matrix was a monthly socio-literary magazine edited by the Liberal Club of Ohio University.
From the guide to the Collection of Matrix magazine, 1935, (Ohio University)
John Calhoun Baker (JCB) was the fourteenth President of Ohio University (OU) from 1945 until 1961. Previous to his position with OU, JCB was an associate dean of the Harvard Business School. John C. Baker: An Oral History is a book created from interviews of JCB conducted by Ohio University (OU) Professors Emeriti Carl H. Denbow and Robert M. Wieman and by head of the Archives and Special Collections George W. Bain. The book commemorated JCB's one hundredth birthday and the fiftieth anniversary of the Ohio University Foundation established by JCB. The book also was the two millionth acquisition by the OU Libraries.
From the guide to the John C. Baker: An Oral History records, 1992-1995, (Ohio University)
The Campus Sentinel was the "official publication of the Toupee Party of Ohio University." It appears to be a one-time publication used to promote the party during student elections.
From the guide to the Collection of The Campus Sentinel, 1929, (Ohio University)
The Women's Panhellenic Association (WPA) is the governing body for Ohio University's (OU) nine National Panhellenic Conference (NPC) sororities. The Panhellenic Council appears to be a precursor to the Women's Panhellenic Association. The Inter-Fraternity Council is the governing body for the fourteen chapters of men's fraternities at OU.
From the guide to the Women's Panhellenic Association and Inter-fraternity Council records, 1969-1993, (Ohio University)
Abdul Wahab Hammood was a professor of statistics and quantitative methods at Ohio University's College of Business Administration.
From the guide to the College of Business Administration collection on Abdul Wahab Hammood, 1972-1982, (Ohio University)
The Forum was a newsletter that introduced topics for discussion at scheduled forums for students at Ohio University. The topics included World War II, race relations, taxes and other political issues.
From the guide to the Collection of The Forum newsletter, 1943, (Ohio University)
The Digest began in October 1969 and was jointly edited by Ohio University Libraries and the Office of Public Affairs.
From the guide to the The Digest newsletters, 1969-1970, (Ohio University)
The Black Faculty, Administrators and Staff Caucus was organized in 1973. Its purpose was to "serve as a forum for the exchange of ideas" and to "articulate the goals and desires of the Black community to the campus and surrounding community."
From the guide to the Black Faculty, Administrators and Staff Caucus records, 1973-1981, (Ohio University)
Kappa Kappa Psi is a national honorary band fraternity. The Ohio University Band Club petitioned to become members in 1931.
From the guide to the Kappa Kappa Psi records, 1931-1954, (Ohio University)
The Women's Recreation Association WRA (changed from Women's Athletic Association in 1947, signifying its intent to not be solely devoted to intramural activity) was the first women's athletic association at Ohio University. The club, originally organized in conjunction with the founding of the Department of Physical Education for Women in 1923, resulted from the men vacating the old gym, leaving the building for exclusive women's use. Ruth Carson, head of the Department of Women's Education, was primarily responsible for the founding of the WRA. The WRA granted membership on a "point" system. Points could be earned through hikes, swimming teams, volleyball and other sports. Those women taking part in many activities could join the "Flying 'O' Club". In 1933, the WRA joined the Athletic Conference of American College Women, allowing the organization to become more national in scope. Though the club's focus was primarily intramural; they also sponsored some inter-school competitions in such sports as target shooting, swimming, and softball. The WRA served primarily to engage women students in extracurricular activities. The WRA owned and operated a small cabin in the outskirts of Athens, just off Route 50, which was purchased in 1939 and would later be open to all university coeds for a small fee. The WRA also served as an incubator for many women's athletics, so that when they became popular in their own right they "spun off" into their own separate and autonomous group. This occurred with rifle shooting, volleyball, swimming, and many other sports. The WRA was largely subsumed by the schools broadening of the Intramural program in response to Title IX around 1970, though there is inconclusive evidence as to the actual denouement of the organization.
From the guide to the Women's Recreation Association records, 1929-1966, (Ohio University)
The Ohio University Martins Ferry branch opened in 1957. In 1965, branch campuses were actively developed, and the Martins Ferry operation switched to its current location in Belmont County, near St. Clairsville. It is known as the Eastern Campus.
From the guide to the Eastern Campus collection, 1957-2008, (Ohio University)
Phi Mu Alpha (PMA) is a music honor society. Sigma Alpha Iota (SAI) is an international music fraternity for women. PMA and SAI appeared to have collaborated extensively at Ohio University.
From the guide to the Phi Mu Alpha and Sigma Alpha Iota records, 1960-1972, (Ohio University)
The National Association of Language Laboratory Directors newsletter began publication in 1966. Ohio University took over as publisher with Volume II in 1967. In 1970, Charles P. Richardson, director of the OU language lab, became Editor with Volume IV.
From the guide to the Collection of NALLD Journal: Newsletter of the National Association of Language Laboratory Directors, 1966-1975, (Ohio University)
In 1937, Ohio University (OU) established an evening division in Zanesville, Ohio, among other places, setting up the beginnings of the branch campuses. However, in 1941, OU closed the evening divisions and returned Zanesville to the status of an extension center. In 1946, OU developed "residence credit centers" in less congested parts of southeastern Ohio including the formerly established area of Zanesville. Between 1965 and 1968, academic buildings opened, creating the Zanesville Campus, among others.
From the guide to the Zanesville Campus records, 1938-1996, (Ohio University)
The 17th and 18th Ecumenical Student Conferences on the Christian World Mission were held in Athens, Ohio during December 1955 - January 1956 and December 1959 - January 1960, respectively. These conferences were sponsored by the Commission on World Mission of the National Student Christian Federation. This organization's goals were to promote missionary education, fellowship, and enlistment. Martin Luther King, Jr. was one of the conference leaders for the 18th Conference. Several delegations from the South were barred from attending by their universities because Africans would be present.
From the guide to the Ecumenical Student Conferences on the Christian World Mission records, 1955-1960, (Ohio University)
Side Lights was published by a group of non-fraternity men possibly known as Ohio University Union. They changed their name in 1911 and became the Ohio University chapter of Phrenocon.
From the guide to the Collection of Side Lights magazine, 1906-1912, (Ohio University)
Los Amigos was a minority student organization formed in February of 1947. The organization's goal was to provide social and spiritual activities and promote cultural and intellectual advancement for its members. The club consisted primarily of African Americans but was not limited to them as stated in the constitution, "... and for any person regardless of race, color, or creed". Another objective of Los Amigos was to foster a strong sense of unity at Ohio University by sponsoring social events such as dances and plays. The club was also instrumental in achieving social change and combating restaurant discrimination in the Athens area. The latest materials are dated in 1952 and the dissolution date of this club is unknown. An extraneous source for information can be found in the Athena yearbooks from 1948-1950 which have a photo of Los Amigos and a short description.
From the guide to the Los Amigos records, 1947-1952, (Ohio University)
Phi Kappa Phi is the nation's oldest, largest, and most selective honor society for all academic disciplines. The Ohio University chapter was established in 1956.
From the guide to the Phi Kappa Phi records, 1961-1974, (Ohio University)
The Last Thursday Magazine was developed by Ohio University students to publish student artwork.
From the guide to the Collection of The Last Thursday Magazine, 1995-1996, (Ohio University)
Upward Bound is a program that is federally grant-funded by the Department of Education. Its goal is to motivate low-income, potential first-generation college students to complete high school and to enter and graduate from college. The Upward Bound program began at Ohio University around 1967 sponsored jointly by the Institute for Regional Development and the Department of Secondary Education.
From the guide to the Upward Bound records, 1967-1973, (Ohio University)
The Hocking River Valley Silt was a satire magazine published monthly by the Hocking River Valley SILT Company.
From the guide to the Collection of The Hocking River Valley Silt magazine, 1967-1970, (Ohio University)
Perspectives: Research, Scholarship, and Creative Activity at Ohio University was "published twice a year by the Office of Research and Graduate Students and the University News Services and Periodicals. Its goal is to provide our colleagues and friends with a sampling of the contributions made by the university's faculty, students, and staff to our understanding and appreciation of the world around us."
From the guide to the Collection of Perspectives: Research, Scholarship, and Creative Activity at Ohio University magazine, 1997-2007, (Ohio University)
Vernon Roger Alden was the fifteenth president of Ohio University from 1962 to 1969. Interviews of him were conducted as part of the Ohio University Oral History Project from 1996 to 1997.
From the guide to the Vernon R. Alden Oral History tape and transcripts, 1996-1997, (Ohio University)
The Ridges refers to the buildings and grounds that used to be the Athens Mental Health Center in Athens, Ohio. After the hospital's original structure closed in 1993, the state of Ohio acquired the property and renamed the complex. Ohio University then acquired a large portion of the property and renovated it for use as the Kennedy Museum of Art, the George V. Voinovich School of Leadership and Public Affairs and other offices.
From the guide to the Collection on The Ridges, 1988-1991, (Ohio University)
In 1956, Ohio University established a branch in Lancaster. Between 1965 and 1968, academic buildings opened, creating the Lancaster Campus, among others.
From the guide to the Lancaster Campus records, 1956-2005, (Ohio University)
Mt. Nebo Flash was a newspaper published every other week by 100 Flowers Collective.
From the guide to the Collection of Mt. Nebo Flash newspaper, 1972-1974, (Ohio University)
Theodore Francis Powys (1875-1953) was a British writer, a younger brother of John Cowper Powys.
From the guide to the Collection on T.F. Powys, 1966-1967, (Ohio University)
The New Student Record (TNSR) is a printed manual of incoming freshman at Ohio University. It contains each student's senior high school photograph, major and interests. TNSR has also been called The Register, The Freshman Register and The Freshman Record.
From the guide to the Collection of The New Student Record, 1968-2004, (Ohio University)
The Ohio University Marching Band (OUMB) was created in 1923. A student by the name of Homer Baird organized a meeting at Ewing Hall where over 40 musicians were in attendance. At that meeting, Baird was elected president of the new band and he made arrangements with a local instrumental teacher named Raymond Connett to direct the band for free. Baird maintained his connection with the band into the late 1980s. In 1968, the OUMB was named "100 Marching Men of Ohio." As of 2010, the OUMB is known as the Marching 110.
From the guide to the Homer T. Baird collection on the Marching Band, 1924-1986, (Ohio University)
The Lamplighter was a "creative, experimental, and sociological magazine" sponsored by the following student organizations at Ohio University: Alpha Kappa Delta, Book Lovers Club, Choregi, Cosmopolitan Club, Dance Club, English Club, Liberal club, Philosophy Club, Phi Mu Alpha, Psi Chi, Quill Club and Sigma Delta Chi.
From the guide to the Collection of The Lamplighter magazine, 1936-1937, (Ohio University)
Several documents are addressed to or penned by important figures in O.U.'s history. --Jacob Lindley was the first president of Ohio University, from 1809 to 1822, and was responsible for organizing both the academy (preparatory school) and college. --Charles W. Super was the eighth president of the university and served two terms: from 1884 to 1896, and from 1899 to 1901. He also taught Greek and was named Dean of the College of Liberal Arts after his second term.
From the guide to the Miscellaneous Historical Documents of Ohio University, 1786-1907, (Ohio University)
Aquarius was published every other week jointly by the Church of the Universal Brotherhood and the community of Athens, Ohio.
From the guide to the Collection of Aquarius newspaper, 1969, (Ohio University)
The Green and White, subtitled "the official student publication at Ohio," was the student run campus newspaper of Ohio University from the 1910's to the 1930's. The paper published many legitimate news articles and functioned as a serious newspaper would, but retained a light-hearted feel by peppering the publication with short, humorous news bites and illustrations. The Green and White ran at the same time that strictly humorous publications such as The Wasp and The Green Goat were also in publication. The two "Green" publications often took jabs at each other in regards to quality of content, ability of staff and ability to stay afloat, but profited from this mutual free advertising. The masthead for a 1913 broadsheet states that the paper was "published weekly during the college year by the students of the institution." A subscription cost $1.50 a year with single copies priced at 5 cents. The paper covered mostly Ohio University news, including articles about professors, student life, fraternities and sororities, athletics and entertainment. The paper also contains many advertisements from local Athens businesses.
From the guide to the Collection of The Green and White newspaper, 1912-1931, (Ohio University)
Ohio University began offering classes in Ironton, Ohio, in 1956. An official campus was not created until 1985. Originally called the Ironton Campus, the Ironton location is now the Southern Campus.
From the guide to the Southern Campus records, 1957-1989, (Ohio University)
Dad's Weekends began as "Dad's Day" in 1923. The occasion also features a wide range of events and the selection of a Father of the Year. Mom's Weekends, originally called "Mother's Homecomings," began in the spring of 1926, and according to a program from 1929, early weekends drew roughly 600 mothers to campus to visit their children and participate in various events. Recitals, plays, pageants, sporting events, tours, teas, and dinners were all a part of the festivities. A highlight of many Mom's Weekends included the selection of an Honorary Mother of the Year, who could be nominated via essay written by her child.
From the guide to the Collection on parents' weekends, 1929-1986, (Ohio University)
Phi Delta Kappa is a professional association for educators.
From the guide to the Phi Delta Kappa, Gamma Chi Chapter records, 1964-1967, (Ohio University)
Before student government at Ohio University became a coed organization, it was separated into the Women's League and the Men's Union. The Women's League and Men's Union had separated duties, but they interacted frequently.
From the guide to the Men's Union records, 1922-1951, (Ohio University)
The Division of Student Affairs oversees the Campus Involvement Center, Campus Recreation, Career Services, Counseling Services, Event Services, Residential Housing and the Dean of Students.
From the guide to the Division of Student Affairs records, 1896-2006, 1950-2006, (Ohio University)
Campus Care, formerly Unified Health Services and Hudson Health Center, is the on-campus provider of health services for students. It is overseen by the College of Osteopathic Medicine at Ohio University.
From the guide to the Campus Care records, 1939-1986, (Ohio University)
Sigma Delta Chi is the society for professional journalists.
From the guide to the Sigma Delta Chi records, 1949-1973, (Ohio University)
The Scripps College of Communication was founded around 1970. It houses the J. Warren McClure School of Information and Telecommunication Systems, the School of Communication Studies, the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism, the Schools of Media Arts and Studies and Visual Communication, and the WOUB Center for Public Media.
From the guide to the Scripps College of Communication records, 1960-2002, (Ohio University)
Lifelong and Distance Learning oversees all branch campuses, independent and distance learning programs at Ohio University (OU.) OU president Alston Ellis established The Ohio University Extension Department in 1909. In 1910, 50 students were enrolled in extension courses, taught by regular Ohio University faculty members in the communities of Jackson, Logan, Nelsonville, and Pomeroy. In 1914, three faculty members were hired full-time to spend their weeks riding circuit around southern and southeastern Ohio, delivering courses. C. L. Martzolff was appointed the first Director of Extension in 1916. OU began offering correspondence courses in 1924. In 1937, evening divisions were established in Portsmouth and Zanesville setting up the beginnings of the branch campuses. On the Athens campus, the Extension Division began offering evening and Saturday courses. This became Independent Study Through Correspondence. However, in 1941, the University closed both evening divisions and returned Zanesville and Portsmouth to the status of extension centers. The idea of branch campuses was revived in 1946 when the governor of Ohio requested that Ohio universities accommodate all Ohioans who wanted to attend college. President John C. Baker recognized that Athens campus alone could not support the large influx of possible students created by World War II veterans returning home. That same year, OU developed "residence credit centers" in less congested parts of southeastern Ohio using the formerly established areas of Portsmouth and Zanesville, and adding a third site at Chillicothe. OU made use of local high schools in the late afternoon and evening. Libraries and science labs were to be enhanced to meet the requirements of university courses, and part-time directors were selected from the local high school staff to watch over operations. Albert C. Gubitz was the first Director of Off-Campus Relations to oversee these branches. New branches were opened in Ironton (current Southern campus) and Lancaster in 1956 and in Martins Ferry in 1957. In 1965, Edward M. Penson was named Dean of Off-Campus Academic Programs (OCAP) to pursue the development of the branch campuses. It was in this period that the Martins Ferry operation switched to its current location in Belmont County, near St. Clairsville. Under Penson's direction between 1965 and 1968, five academic buildings were opened, creating the Chillicothe, Belmont (later Eastern), Lancaster, Portsmouth, and Zanesville Campuses. Courses offerings continued in Ironton, as well, although an official "campus" did not come along until 1985. In 1975, the Portsmouth campus left OU, developing into what is now Shawnee State University. In 1971, OCAP changed its name to the Office of Regional Higher Education, the office that currently oversees the branch campuses.
From the guide to the Lifelong and Distance Learning records, 1906-2002, 1960-1980, (Ohio University)
The Emerson Prize Poem contest was established by W.D. Emerson, a member of the Ohio University Class of 1883, "who bequeathed $1000 to the University to provide for prizes." The contest was held biennially.
From the guide to the Collection on the Emerson Prize Poem Contest, 1909-1973, (Ohio University)
The Ohio University Federation of Teachers was organized in 1967 as a chapter of the American Federation of Teachers. Its purpose was to bring the faculty together, enforce the rights of teachers, raise the standards of the profession and promote democratization of the university.
From the guide to the Ohio University Federation of Teachers records, 1967-1970, (Ohio University)
Secretary to the University is a job position designed by Robert Mahn. In this position, his duties included being secretary to and an ex-officio (non-voting) member of each standing committee. In December 1937, Mahn accepted the position of Assistant to the Registrar and University Examiner at Ohio University, effective January 1, 1938. In 1946 Mahn was named Registrar. In 1967 after twenty-one years as Registrar at Ohio University, he was named Secretary of the University. In 1970 President Claude Sowle invited him to be his Assistant, a responsibility he continued under President Harry Crewson and, until his mandatory retirement on June 30, 1984, under President Charles Ping, serving simultaneously as secretary of the Board of Trustees.
From the guide to the Secretary to the University records, 1964-1976, (Ohio University)
Sigma Xi is the honor society of research scientists and engineers. The Ohio University chapter was installed in 1961.
From the guide to the Sigma Xi records, 1959-1969, (Ohio University)
In 1937, Ohio University (OU) established an evening division in Portsmouth, Ohio, among other places, setting up the beginnings of the branch campuses. HOwever, in 1941, OU closed the evening divisions and returned Portsmouth to the status of an extension center. In 1946, OU developed "residence credit centers" in less congested parts of southeastern Ohio including the formerly established area of Portsmouth. Between 1965 and 1986, academic buildings opened, creating the Portsmouth Campus, among others. In 1975, the Portsmouth Campus left OU, developing into what is now Shawnee State University.
From the guide to the Portsmouth Campus records, 1948-1974, (Ohio University)
The Ohioan was a satirical magazine published by Ohio University (OU) students in the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s. Like The Green Goat magazine, which temporarily ceased publication the same year The Ohioan was founded (1933), The Ohioan contains jokes, comics, and humorous narratives. But unlike The Green Goat, The Ohioan contains much more OU specific content, including photos of students and events. The Ohioan is also much tamer than The Green Goat, with less sexualized content. The Green Goat resumed publication in 1956, picking up where The Ohioan seemingly left off; not enough definitive information is known about The Ohioan to know exactly which issue was its last. This student publication is not the same as the 1911 newspaper by the same name.
From the guide to the Collection of The Ohioan magazine, 1933-1951, (Ohio University)
Eta Sigma Phi is a national classical languages honorary fraternity.
From the guide to the Eta Sigma Phi records, 1940-1965, (Ohio University)
The Association of Religious Advisors (ARA) was incorporated in 1962. Its mission was to create a liaison between the members of the ARA, Ohio University, the Campus Religious Council and Athens church leaders.
From the guide to the Association of Religious Advisors records, 1962-1969, (Ohio University)
The Feng Chia University Exchange Program Collection contains the information and records associated with the Ohio University exchange program with Feng Chia University in Taiwan. Feng Chia is a private university on the outskirts of Taichung City near the west central coast of Taiwan. Ohio University began an official agreement for the inter-institutional cooperation with Feng Chia University on May 12, 1980. It was mainly organized by Hwa-Wei Lee, the Dean of Libraries at Ohio University. The main component of the collection is the correspondence between Ohio University and Feng Chia University. Additionally, the collection contains correspondence between Ohio University and its students and faculty. In the initial years of the exchange, only Taiwanese students were sent to Ohio University on the program, but starting in 1983, Ohio University began sending students to Feng Chia to teach English and learn Chinese. This program was only offered to Ohio University alumni, with preference given to graduate students who had TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language), TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) or TESL (Teaching English as Second Language) certification. Starting in the 1983-1984 academic year, 3-4 students were selected for the program in Taiwan. Eventually, the number increased from 3-4 students to 7-8 students, with the option for exceptional students to return to Feng Chia for a second, and sometimes third, year. When Feng Chia increased the number of exchange positions, Ohio University followed suit, and offered 7-8 tuition scholarships to Feng Chia University students. The records end in 1995 with the retirement of Feng Chia University's President Yang. The program is no longer facilitated at Ohio University or Feng Chia University. Approximately 75% of this collection is in English and 25% of this collection is in Chinese. Materials containing social security numbers and bank account or loan account numbers have been removed for privacy and security. Official transcripts and test score materials have also been removed for privacy and security. Paperwork related to other Ohio University exchange/study abroad programs-Chubu University and De la Salle University respectively-have been moved to their appropriate collections within the Ohio University Archives.
From the guide to the Feng Chia University Exchange Program, 1980-1995, (Ohio University)
The Division of University Advancement contains Advancement Services, the Alumni Association, Development Office, and the Ohio University Foundation. The Office of University Relations was a former name for one of the offices within this division. University Publications was formerly part of University Relations. When the divisions were reorganized, publications were placed under University Communications and Marketing.
From the guide to the Division of University Advancement records, 1957-1996, (Ohio University)
University founded in 1804, in Athens, Ohio.
From the description of Journal, 1818-1826 / Ohio University. (Rhinelander District Library). WorldCat record id: 19732963
Mortar Board (MB) is the premier national honor society recognizing college seniors for superior achievement in scholarship, leadership and service. Originally a national organization honoring senior college women, the society opened its membership to men in 1975. The Ohio University chapter was known as Cresset prior to becoming part of MB. Cresset was the honor society for women created at the same time as Torch, the honor society for men.
From the guide to the Mortar Board, Cresset chapter records, 1913-1969, (Ohio University)
Thomas Ewing (1789-1871) (TE) was the first graduate of Ohio University. He became a lawyer in Lancaster, OH and was elected to the United States Senate in 1830. He also served as served as Secretary of the Treasury, Secretary of the Interior and Secretary of War.
Thomas Ewing (1827-1907) was the son of TE. He was an American Civil War Union army general, attorney, and two-term Congressman from Ohio.
TE's other sons Hugh Boyle Ewing and Charles Ewing also became generals in the Union army during the Civil War.
TE was also a foster father to William Tecumseh Sherman, an American Civil War Union army general.
From the guide to the Collection on the Ewing family, 1813-1940, (Ohio University)
The Ohio University Press (OUP) is an academic unit that reports to the Office of the Executive Vice President and Provost. The scholarly publishing arm of Ohio University (OU), it operates under the guidance of an Editorial Advisory Board composed of some of the most engaged and acclaimed scholars on the Athens campus.
Originally incorporated in 1947, it was formally organized in 1964 by OU President John C. Baker. As of 2010, the OUP is the largest scholarly press in the state of Ohio. The OUP publishes an average of fifty titles per year. By recruiting authors from different universities and institutions around the world, the OUP also extends the reach of the university's contribution to scholarly activity beyond the limits of its own faculty.
From the guide to the Ohio University Press records, 1950-1990, 1970-1980, (Ohio University)
The Kappa Phi Club began as a women's Sunday School class in a Methodist church in Lawrence, Kansas, in 1915. Harriet Thompson, the wife of the Wesley Foundation pastor Gordon B. Thompson, was the teacher of this group of freshmen women who would become the core of a new organization. The following year, in 1916, the group grew and welcomed any Methodist woman attending the University of Kansas. Because of this, the KPC was born.
Irene Park from Epsilon chapter came to Ohio University (OU) along with Mary Benz (MB) from Beta chapter and founded Phi Chapter in 1928. The chapter was officially installed at OU November 1, 1928 with 45 charter members and 23 charter pledges. MB became the first Phi sponsor and the first President was Elizabeth Montague. KPC held meetings at the First United Methodist Church in Athens, Ohio.
From the guide to the Kappa Phi records, 1934-2003, (Ohio University)
Ohio University in the late 1960s was overrun with small dorm radio stations that transmitted through the buildings' electrical wiring. This method of broadcasting, known as carrier current, had recently become extremely cheap to install and operate, thus the outbreak of over ten independent dormitory stations. Students pitched the idea of having all dorm stations link into a network that would provide news feeds throughout the day. Associate Professor Archie Greer was named advisor, two news shows were developed, and the All Campus Radio Network (ACRN) was born. On April 4th, 1971, ACRN began its first broadcast to its network affiliates. By 1972, its programming had expanded to playing free form jazz and progressive rock during lunch and dinner times.
After a move to larger studios and offices in 1974, ACRN began broadcasting 24 hours a day. More importantly, a link was made to Continental Cable of Athens, which then transmitted ACRN to a large number of off-campus residents. In 1976, ACRN purchased FM stereo equipment, and was soon feeding Continental Cable a powerful stereo signal. By pioneering stereo cable FM and being the first to adapt the industry standard Optimod FM (1978) to cable, ACRN made radio history.
In January of 1995, the CATVision University Cable System was installed into every residence hall on campus. Cable FM was also offered to students and carried ACRN.
ACRN ceased CaFM broadcasts at the end of 1998. In 1999, it began to utilize a web server to stream broadcasts continuously with a link on its web site.
As of January 2007, ACRN has operated from offices within Baker University Center.
From the guide to the All Campus Radio Network records, 1969-1996, (Ohio University)
Arthur O. Lovejoy and John Dewey organized a meeting in 1915 to form an organization to ensure academic freedom for faculty members. This meeting was the beginning of the American Association of University Professors (AAUP). The AAUP's mission is to protect the academic freedom of professors.
The Ohio University chapter was moved for and passed in 1920. The Ohio Conference of the AAUP began on April 30, 1949, at the Faculty Club, Ohio State University, when twenty-three persons from twelve institutions gathered.
From the guide to the American Association of University Professors records, 1920-1990, 1960-1970, (Ohio University)
In the late 1960s, multiple dormitory radio stations used the buildings' electrical wiring for broadcasting (carrier current) programming to Ohio University's East, West, and South greens. It was very inexpensive to install and operate. Eventually there were ten student-run green stations in all. Students were responsible for an idea which would link the dorm stations to a news network feed. In 1971, ACRN had its first broadcast to its network affiliates. By 1974, ACRN was broadcasting 24 hours a day. In that same year, ACRN linked with Continental Cable of Athens and expanded its listener base to the surrounding Athens area. In 1976, through the Ohio University Employees' Credit Union, ACRN received a loan to purchase updated equipment. According to ACRN's website (2012) "by pioneering stereo cable FM and being the first to adapt the industry standard Optimod FM (1978) to cable, ACRN made radio history".
Despite these advances, ACRN could rarely be heard on campus. This is not only because of the decline in the dorm station usage, but also the short-lived exposure broadcasting in the dining halls. Not wanting to lose a major listener base, ACRN proposed that Ohio University install cable in all the dorms, so that they could broadcast over Cable FM. After many years of pressuring and petitioning the university, OU agreed to install cable in all dormitories in 1995. ACRN used the CATVision University Cable System as a means of increasing their presence on campus.
However, due to rising costs and decreases in funding, ACRN could no longer utilize its Cable FM broadcasting system in 1998. In 1999, they switched to an online platform through their website ACRN.com. Currently (as of 2012), ACRN continues to broadcast 24 hours a day through their online web server.
From the guide to the All-Campus Radio Network (ACRN) Collection, 1965-1997, (Ohio University)
The Ohio Board of Regents, a nine-member advisory board to the chancellor with two ex-officio representatives from the state legislature, was created in 1963 by the general assembly. Members of the Board of Regents are appointed by the governor with the advice and consent of the senate.
Responsibilities of the board include, developing an independent annual report on the Condition of Higher Education in Ohio, and issuing an annual performance review of the chancellor. The board is also responsible for advising the chancellor on issues of statewide importance affecting higher education.
From the guide to the Ohio Board of Regents records, 1962-1992, (Ohio University)