Edge Moor Iron Company
The Edge Moor Iron Company was incorporated in Delaware in 1869 by Eli Garrett and William Sellers, a noted Philadelphia mechanical engineer. The company engaged in the manufacture of iron and steel bridges at a plant located on the Delaware River north of Wilmington. Among its more important projects were the deck of the Brooklyn Bridge, the second Rockville Bridge over the Susquehanna River, and the Kentucky River Bridge of the Cincinnati Southern Railroad.
The company began enlarging its works and adding its own rolling mill in 1882, but the financial upheavals of the 1880s and 90s delayed completion until 1897. By this time the firm was in financial difficulty, and in 1900 it sold its bridge works to the newly-organized American Bridge Company, which in turn became a subsidiary of U.S. Steel in 1901. The rolling mill was dismantled, but the Edge Moor Iron Company retained ownership of surplus real estate. Edge Moor was a minor plant for American Bridge and was finally closed in 1925. The Edge Moor Iron Company was placed in receivership and was liquidated in 1936.
From the description of Records, 1774-1941. (Hagley Museum & Library). WorldCat record id: 122558533
- Steel industry and trade
- Iron industry and trade
- Delaware (as recorded)
- New Castle County (Del.) (as recorded)