Edmund ("Mike") Leroy Keeley, author, translator, educator, critic, and administrator, was born in Damascus, Syria, on February 5, 1928, one of three sons of James Hugh Keeley, an American diplomat. He lived in Greece from ages 8 to 11, receiving his primary education in Thessaloniki. In 1939, the family moved to Washington, D. C., where he attended high school. In 1948, Keeley earned a B.A. from Princeton University and was a Fulbright Scholar and a Woodrow Wilson Fellow. The year 1954 began Edmund Keeley's long and productive career at Princeton University. From 1954 to 1957, he was an instructor of English. In 1957, he became an assistant professor, holding that position until 1963, when he was promoted to associate professor. In 1970, he became a full professor of English and creative writing, continuing in that capacity until his retirement in 1993. Keeley was co-chairman of the program in comparative literature (1964 to 1965) and chairman of the Hellenic Studies program (1985). During his career at Princeton Keeley held directorships in the Creative Arts Program (1966 to 1971), the Creative Writing and Theatre Program (1971 to 1973), and the Creative Writing Program (1974 to 1981). In addition, Keeley held various offices outside of Princeton's walls. He was president of the Modern Greek Studies Association (MGSA) from 1970 to 1973, and from 1980 to 1981. From 1977 to 1979, he was vice-president of the Poetry Society of America, and he was president of P.E.N. American Center from 1992 to 1993.
From the description of Edmund Keeley papers, 1947-2008. (Princeton University Library). WorldCat record id: 298775873