In 1919, the Philco trademark was introduced on a line of batteries. By 1930, Philco had introduced its first huge seller, a radio which would make it the number one radio producer in the country. Philco would remain the leader in home entertainment electronics until World War II. During World War II, Philco supplied war equipment for the United States government. After the war, the company continued work in military and space electronics, but also produced home appliances including air conditioners and refrigerators. It entered the electric range industry in 1949 and the home laundry field in 1954. Although a major manufacturer of consumer products by 1961, sales were unable to offset the costs of developing computers and new products. Purchased by Ford Motor Company in 1961, it became in 1966 a wholly-owned subsidiary known as Philco-Ford Corporation. In 1974, Ford sold Philco to GTE-Sylvania.
From the description of Philco-Ford Corporation publications collection, 1940-1969. (The Henry Ford). WorldCat record id: 56106839