The original Harleston Funeral Home was established in Charleston, S.C. in 1901 by Edwin G. "Captain" Harleston (1854-1931) and his brother, Robert Harleston (1846-1915), under the name Harleston Brothers Funeral Home. It was one of the first funeral homes for African Americans in Charleston. The same year that it was founded, it merged with Mickey Funeral Home following the death of its proprietor, Edward H. Mickey (1850-1899). Mickey had married E.G. Harleston's sister, Hannah Harleston Mickey (1848-1928). As a widow, she joined with her brother E.G. Harleston as joint proprietors of the business and in 1903, the name was changed to Mickey and Harleston Funeral Home. In 1913 the firm was dissolved and E.G. Harleston established a separate funeral operation by erecting a building at 121 Calhoun St. The business was thereafter known as Harleston Funeral Home. That same year, E.G. Harleston enlisted his artist son, Edwin A. Harleston (1882-1931) to help with the business. They ran the funeral home together until 1931, when they both died. The business then stayed in the Harleston family until 1961, when Jobe Colbert bought controlling interest. In 1978, Grippon A. Boags purchased the business and renamed it Harleston-Boags Funeral Home. It still (2006) operates at 121 Calhoun St.
Undertakers (and their work dates) at the Harleston Funeral Home included: Edwin Gaillard Harleston (undertaker 1901-1931), Edwin A. Harleston (undertaker 1913-1931), Maithlun N. Fleming (undertaker 1931-1961), Jobe Colbert (undertaker 1961-1978), Grippon A. Boags (undertaker 1978-present).
From the description of Harleston Funeral Home papers, ca. 1900-1976. (College of Charleston). WorldCat record id: 166409110