Strohm, J. Guy, M. D., Colonel
Dr. J. Guy Strohm died at the age of 86, in 1972. Born in Endicott, Nebraska, Dr. Strohm spent his childhood and schooling there until beginning his education at the University of Nebraska. He began his medical education at the University of Michigan and graduated from Rush Medical College in 1910. He did post-graduate work in Vienna, Austria after an internship in Cook County in 1910-1911. Strohm practiced general medicine in Portland, Oregon and organized the first company of soldiers to arrive at Camp Lewis, Washington at the beginning of WWI and the nucleus of the 91st Division, popularly called the “Wild West Division”. He became the youngest colonel in the A. E. F. and was made division surgeon of the 91st. He received the King Albert medal of Belgium, Medal of Honor of France, Croix de Guerre of France and the Legion of Honor of France. He helped to organize the 46th General Hospital sponsored by the University of Oregon Medical School. Under his command, it was rated one of the finest general hospitals in the European an =d African Theatres. He was on the staff of the Multnomah County Hospital, Good Samaritan, and Veteran’s Hospital of Portland. He was a member of the Masonic Lodge and president of the Portland Medical Society and of the University Club.
General Hospital No. 46 had been on inactive status at the University of Oregon Medical School since WWI when it functioned as Base Hospital No. 46 and was located at Bazoilles-sur-meuse in France. It cared for 8,366 patients, with a peak load of 1,575 patients at one time during the Meuse-Argonne offensive. The record of original service ha[d] been made and published by the officers of the original unit. In the interim between the two World Wars, a considerable portion of the officer personnel of the 46th General Hospital and a training program on an individual basis in cooperation with the organized Reserved Corps of the United States Army ha[d] been maintained.
On March 11, 1940, Major James C. Magee, Surgeon General of the United States Army requested the University of Oregon Medical School to prepare for reactivation of the unit, the 46th General Hospital.
The War Department, upon the recommendation of Dr. R. B. Dillehunt, Dean of the University of Oregon Medical School, appointed J. Guy Strohm, Medical Reserve Unit Director during the organizational period and, in the event of mobilization, commanding officer. Colonel Strohm worked diligently and with effectiveness, [was] respected by officers, nurses and enlisted men alike and deserves much credit for the excellent status of preparation of the affiliated unit of the University of Oregon Medical School. Colonel Strohm, during the twenty-eight months period between the time of the request and the time it was activated, conducted a weekly training program for the officer personnel. Through his efforts, members of the faculty were procured and assigned to the official roster of the 46th General Hospital.
Lt. Colonel Dean B. Seabrook, Chief of the surgical Service Lt. Colonel Frank R. Mount, Chief of the Medical Service Major Wilbur M. Bolton, Chief of the Eye, Ear, Nose and Throat Service Major Frank V. Lutz, Chief of the Dental Service Captain James B. Haworth, Chief of the Radiological Service Captain Vinton D. Sneeden, Chief of the Laboratory Service 1st Lt. Harriet M. Dickson, Chief Nurse
In addition to Officer and Nurse procurement, ninety-six enlisted reserve personnel was enrolled, including technicians and others essential to the various services for the operation of the General Hospital. Activation of the 46th General Hospital took place on July 15 [no year given in original document], at which time the officer and the nurse personnel was ordered to Fort Riley Kansas. The enlisted reserve personnel [were] ordered to Fort Lewis for processing, thence to Fort Riley to join the unit. The number of officers, nurses and enlisted reserve is as follows:
Medical Officers 52 Non-medical Officers 4 Nurses 70 Enlisted Reserve Personnel 96
The unit was ordered to North Africa, arriving in Oran on September 2, 1943. Colonel Strohm was appointed command officer of all installations in the area, Mount was acting commanding officer of the 46th General Hospital and Burns, was made acting chief of medical service. In August 1944, the unit was moved to Southern France, an advance detail being sent to Besancon where soon the hospital was set up.
From the guide to the Colonel Strohm's Nurses Photograph Album, 1942-1944, (Oregon Health & Science University Historical Collections & Archives)
|creatorOf||Colonel Strohm's Nurses Photograph Album, 1942-1944||Oregon Health and Science University Historical Collections and Archives|
|associatedWith||Base Hospital 46th.||corporateBody|
|associatedWith||Hilterbrant, Katherine Fisher||person|
|associatedWith||Mitch, ?? ?||person|
|associatedWith||Van Floomisen, Florence||person|
|Place Name||Admin Code||Country|
|Medicine and Health|