De Garmo, Charles, 1849-1934Alternative names
Charles De Garmo became the fourth President of Swarthmore College in 1891. He believed in the Herbartian method of teaching and taught in Illinois many years before arriving at Swarthmore as Professor of Modern Languages and Reading. While President, he developed two fellowships and established a Department of Economics and Social Science. Following conflict with the Board of Managers, he returned to his teaching position in 1898, retiring in 1914.
From the description of Papers, 1891-1898. (Swarthmore College). WorldCat record id: 42321654
- Universities and colleges--History--19th century
- Pennsylvania (as recorded)