Herger, Wally, 1945-Alternative names
Wally Herger, Republican, was a State Assembly Member, 1981-1986. His 3rd Assembly District represented cities within the counties of Modoc, Lassen, Butte, Plumas, Sierra, Yuba, and Nevada County.
Herger was born on May 20, 1945 in Yuba City, California. He attended American River College where he earned an A.A. degree. Herger then attended California State University, Sacramento where he majored in Business Administration. Before entering politics Herger was a rancher. He married his wife Pam with whom he had seven children: Melissa, Gregory, Robin, Cara, Dean, Cameron, and Jamie.
In addition to his political activities, Wally Herger was also a member of the Board of Directors of the Big Brothers/Big Sisters Association. He was a member of the California Chamber of Commerce and served on the Chamber's Executive Steering Committee, Small Business Task Force and Committee on Agriculture. He was also a member of the Greater Yuba City-Marysville Chamber of Commerce, South Yuba Rotary Club, Yuba-Sutter Farm Bureau, California Cattlemen's Association, National Federation of Independent Businessmen, Gun Owners of California, Sutter County Taxpayers Association, and the Boy Scouts of America. In 1979 Herger was named by the United States Jaycees as one of their "Outstanding Young Men in America."
Wally Herger was elected to the State Assembly in 1980 and served through 1986.
According to the California Legislature at Sacramento (Handbooks), Herger served on the following committees:
Assembly Member Herger was elected to United States House of Representatives in 1986 from the Second Congressional District in Northern California.
- Standing Committees
- Agriculture, 1981-1986
- *Vice Chair, 1981-1982,1985-1986
- Criminal Justice, 1981-1982
- Energy and Natural Resources, 1981-1982
- Health, 1985-1986
- Local Government, 1981-1982
- Natural Resources, 1983-1984
- Water, Parks and Wildlife, 1983-1986
- Ways and Means, 1985-1986
- Fairs, Allocation and Classification, 1983-1986
- Health and Welfare, 1985-1986
- Livestock and Dairy, 1983-1984
- Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities, 1985-1986
- Resources and Parks, 1985-1986
- Select Committees
- Auburn Dam, 1983-1984
- Economic Problems in Timber and Related Industries, 1983-1984
- Victim Restitution, 1983-1984
- Joint Committees
- Auburn Dam, 1985
- Fairs, Allocation and Classification, 1985
From the guide to the Wally Herger Papers, 1981-1986, (California State Archives)
- Television advertising
- Advertising, political
- Agricultural laws and legislation - - California
- Water--Law and legislation--California