Bigsby, John J. (John Jeremiah), 1792-1881Alternative names
The Michigan Geological Survey was created by Public Act 20 of 1837. Its purpose was to conduct a geological and mineralogical survey of the state. The state legislature appointed Douglass Houghton the first state geologist (1837). In 1921, the state legislature established the Department of Conservation, and the Michigan Geological Survey became part of that department (Public Act 17 of 1921). The Department of Conservation established the Geological Survey Division circa 1947. In 1968, the department was renamed the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) (Public Act 353 of 1968). In 1995, Governor John Engler separated the environmental protection and natural resources conservation functions of the DNR, and created the Department of Environmental Quality (Executive Reorganization Order 1995-16). The Geological Survey Division was transferred to the Department of Environmental Quality.
From the description of Geography and geology of Lake Huron / by John J. Bigsby. (State Archive of Michigan). WorldCat record id: 49522622
British Library Archives and Manuscripts Catalogue : Person : Description : ark:/81055/vdc_100000001072.0x00037e
- Geology Maps
- Manchester, Lancashire (as recorded)
- Huron, Lake (Mich. and Ont.) (as recorded)