Mount Vernon Glass Works.Alternative names
The Mt. Vernon Glass works was formed in 1810. Shortly after its incorporation by the state legislature two brothers became involved with the works and eventually owned them. The brothers were Charles and Oscar Granger. These men operated the works, which produced a variety of bottles, dishes, decanters and flasks. In 1865 the plant was sold to the Congress and Empire Spring Company and was moved to Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
There were at least four glass works operating in the Vernon, Oneida County, N.Y. area in the early and middle 19th Century. Several items from the A. Landgraff and Son window glass works are represented in the papers. This company was established in 1840 by Anthony Landgraff.
Salmon Case operated a store at Vernon and may have been a dealer and salesman for A. Landgraff and Son. The Mt. Vernon papers were found at Case's store, which evidences some sort of connection between the two firms.
From the description of Records, 1827-1857. (Unknown). WorldCat record id: 122611296
- Bottle industry
- Glass trade
- Glass furnaces
- Glass manufacture
- Glass blowing and working
- New York (State)--Oneida County (as recorded)
- New York (State) (as recorded)
- Vernon (N.Y.) (as recorded)
- Oneida County (N.Y.) (as recorded)
- Saratoga Springs (N.Y.) (as recorded)