Houghton Mifflin Company.

Alternative names
Dates:
Active 1832
Active 1944

Biographical notes:

Houghton Mifflin Company, publishing house of Boston, Mass.,

From the description of Houghton Mifflin Company records, 1832-1944. (Harvard University). WorldCat record id: 612205133

Houghton Mifflin Company, publishing house of Boston, Massachusetts, traces its roots back to the firm of Ticknor and Fields, the premier "literary" publishing house in the United States during the middle years of the nineteenth century; and to the Riverside Press, Henry Oscar Houghton's printing establishment in Cambridge, Massachusetts. After a series of changes within each firm, Ticknor and Fields and the Riverside Press merged together in 1878 to become Houghton, Osgood, and Company. Two years later, James R. Osgood left the partnership and George Harrison Mifflin and Henry Oscar Houghton formed Houghton, Mifflin, and Company. In 1908, Houghton, Mifflin and Company changed from a partnership to a corporation as the Houghton Mifflin Company. The company became publicly owned in 1967 and was bought by the French conglomerate, Vivendi Universal SA, in 2001. The succession of corporate names in the period covered by this correspondence is: Houghton, Mifflin and Co. (1880-1908); and Houghton Mifflin Company (since 1908).

From the description of Houghton Mifflin Company correspondence, 1881-1981 (inclusive), 1940-1979 (bulk). (Harvard University). WorldCat record id: 612680489

From the guide to the Houghton Mifflin Company correspondence, 1881-1981 (inclusive), 1940-1979 (bulk)., (Houghton Library, Harvard College Library, Harvard University)

Houghton Mifflin Company, publishing house of Boston, Massachusetts, traces its roots back to the firm of Ticknor and Fields, the premier literary publishing house in the United States during the middle years of the nineteenth century. During a portion of the period of this collection, the firm was known as Houghton, Mifflin and Company (1880-1908), becoming thereafter a corporation under its current name, Houghton Mifflin Company. Authors sent manuscripts to the firm, seeking publication. Each was read and evaluated by a member of the staff.

From the description of Houghton Mifflin Company reader reports on manuscripts submitted for publication, 1882-1931. (Harvard University). WorldCat record id: 612869410

Houghton Mifflin Company, publishing house of Boston, Mass., traces its roots back to the firm of Ticknor and Fields, the premier "literary" publishing house in the United States during the middle years of the nineteenth century. Ticknor and Fields originated in the firm of Allen and Ticknor, established in 1832. The partners in Ticknor and Fields were William D. Ticknor (one of the partners in Allen and Ticknor) and James T. Fields, who entered the firm as a junior partner in 1843. After a series of changes, Ticknor and Fields evolved into Houghton, Mifflin and Company. The succession of corporate names was as follows: Allen and Ticknor (1832-1834); William D. Ticknor (1834-1843); William D. Ticknor and Co. (1843-1849); Ticknor, Reed and Fields (1849-1854); Ticknor and Fields (1854-1868); Fields, Osgood and Co. (1868-1871); James R. Osgood and Co. (1871-1878); Houghton, Osgood and Co. (1878-1880); Houghton, Mifflin and Co. (1880-1908); and Houghton Mifflin Co. (since 1908). Henry Oscar Houghton began as a printer in Cambridge, Mass. and established H. O. Houghton and Co. in 1852. Houghton's printing establishment on the Charles River in Cambridge was known as the Riverside Press. In 1864 he formed a publishing partnership in the firm of Hurd and Houghton. In 1878 the business merged with James R. Osgood and Co. as Houghton, Osgood and Co.

From the description of Houghton Mifflin Company correspondence and records, 1832-1944. (Harvard University). WorldCat record id: 612375900

From the guide to the Houghton Mifflin Company correspondence and records, 1832-1944., (Houghton Library, Harvard College Library, Harvard University)

Houghton Mifflin Company, publishing house of Boston, Massachusetts, traces its roots back to the firm of Ticknor and Fields, the premier "literary" publishing house in the United States during the middle years of the nineteenth century. Ticknor and Fields originated in the firm of Allen and Ticknor, established in 1832. The partners in Ticknor and Fields were William D. Ticknor (one of the partners in Allen and Ticknor) and James T. Fields, who entered the firm as a junior partner in 1843. Henry Oscar Houghton began as a printer in Cambridge, Mass. and established H. O. Houghton and Co. in 1852. Houghton's printing establishment on the Charles River in Cambridge was known as the Riverside Press. In 1864 he formed a publishing partnership in the firm of Hurd and Houghton. In 1878 the business merged with James R. Osgood and Co. as Houghton, Osgood and Co.

After a series of changes, the original company of Ticknor and Fields evolved into Houghton, Mifflin and Company. The succession of corporate names was as follows: Allen and Ticknor (1832-1834); William D. Ticknor (1834-1843); William D. Ticknor and Co. (1843-1849); Ticknor, Reed and Fields (1849-1854); Ticknor and Fields (1854-1868); Fields, Osgood and Co. (1868-1871); James R. Osgood and Co. (1871-1878); Houghton, Osgood and Co. (1878-1880); Houghton, Mifflin and Co. (1880-1908). In 1908 the company changed from a partnership to a corporation as the Houghton Mifflin Company. The company became publicly owned in 1967 and was purchased by the French conglomerate, Vivendi Universal SA, in 2001. In 2002 it was acquired by Thomas H. Lee, Bain Capital, and the Blackstone Group.

From the description of Houghton Mifflin Company contracts, 1831-1979 (inclusive), 1880-1940 (bulk). (Harvard University). WorldCat record id: 612829497

Houghton Mifflin Company, publishing house of Boston, Massachusetts, traces its roots back to the firm of Ticknor and Fields, the premier literary publishing house in the United States during the middle years of the nineteenth century. During the period of a portion of this collection, the firm was known as Houghton, Mifflin and Company (1880-1908), becoming thereafter a corporation under its current name, Houghton Mifflin Company.

Authors sent manuscripts to the firm, seeking publication. Each was read and evaluated by a member of the staff.

BP: Bliss Perry, 1860-1954 FG: Ferris Greenslet, 1875-1959 FHA: Francis H. (Francis Henry) Allen, 1866-1953 FJG: Francis Jackson Garrison, 1848-1916 FSH: Franklin S. (Franklin Sherman) Hoyt, b. 1873 GHM: George H. (George Harrison) Mifflin, 1845-1921 HES: Horace Elisha Scudder, 1838-1902 HNW: H. N. (Henry Nathan) Wheeler, 1850- HRG: Herbert R. Gibbs JDP: James Duncan Phillips, b. 1876 MJ: MacGregor Jenkins, 1869-1940 WBP: William B. Parker WSB: W. S. Booth

From the guide to the Houghton Mifflin Company reader reports on manuscripts submitted for publication, 1882-1931., (Houghton Library, Harvard College Library, Harvard University)

Houghton Mifflin Company, publishing house of Boston, Massachusetts, traces its roots back to the firm of Ticknor and Fields, the premier "literary" publishing house in the United States during the middle years of the nineteenth century. Ticknor and Fields originated in the firm of Allen and Ticknor, established in 1832. The partners in Ticknor and Fields were William D. Ticknor (one of the partners in Allen and Ticknor) and James T. Fields, who entered the firm as a junior partner in 1843. Henry Oscar Houghton began as a printer in Cambridge, Mass. and established H. O. Houghton and Co. in 1852. Houghton's printing establishment on the Charles River in Cambridge was known as the Riverside Press. In 1864 he formed a publishing partnership in the firm of Hurd and Houghton. In 1878 the business merged with James R. Osgood and Co. as Houghton, Osgood and Co.

After a series of changes, Ticknor and Fields evolved into Houghton, Mifflin and Company. The succession of corporate names was as follows: Allen and Ticknor (1832-1834); William D. Ticknor (1834-1843); William D. Ticknor and Co. (1843-1849); Ticknor, Reed and Fields (1849-1854); Ticknor and Fields (1854-1868); Fields, Osgood and Co. (1868-1871); James R. Osgood and Co. (1871-1878); Houghton, Osgood and Co. (1878-1880); Houghton, Mifflin and Co. (1880-1908). In 1908 the company changed from a partnership to a corporation as the Houghton Mifflin Company . The company became publicly owned in 1967 and was purchased by the French conglomerate, Vivendi Universal SA, in 2001. In 2002 it was acquired by Thomas H. Lee, Bain Capital, and the Blackstone Group.

From the guide to the Houghton Mifflin Company contracts, 1831-1979 (inclusive) 1880-1940 (bulk)., (Houghton Library, Harvard College Library, Harvard University)



Biographical notes are generated from the bibliographic and archival source records supplied by data contributors.

Loading...

Loading Relationships

Constellation Information

Permalink:
http://n2t.net/ark:/99166/w6fz11mc
SNAC ID:
28872168

Subjects:

  • Authors and publishers--History--20th century
  • Women authors
  • Publishers and publishing
  • Book registration, National
  • American poetry--19th century
  • Authors and publishers
  • Literary agents
  • Book proposals
  • American literature--20th century
  • American poetry--20th century
  • Poets, American--20th century--Biography
  • Authors, American--19th century
  • Authors, American
  • Authors, American--20th century
  • Printing
  • American periodicals
  • American literature--19th century
  • Authors and publishers--20th century
  • Copyright
  • Authors and publishers--19th century
  • Literature publishing

Occupations:

not available for this record

Places:

  • Massachusetts--Boston (as recorded)
  • United States (as recorded)
  • United States (as recorded)
  • Boston (Mass.) (as recorded)