Sergeant, John, 1710-1749Alternative names
Stephen Williams (1693-1782), Congregational clergyman, was born in Deerfield, Mass.
Williams played an important role in establishing the Stockbridge mission to the Housatonic Indians in western Massachusetts in 1734 and in securing the services of the Rev. John Sergeant as its first minister. Sergeant commenced to educate and christianize the Indians until his death in 1749.
From the description of Letters, 1739-1743. (Newberry Library). WorldCat record id: 40133301
- Shawnee Indians--Social life and customs
- Indians of North America--Missions--History--18th century--Sources
- Shawnee Indians--History--18th century--Sources
- Manuscripts, American
- Missionaries--History--18th century--Sources
- Massachusetts--Housatonic (as recorded)
- Massachusetts--Stockbridge (as recorded)
- New England (as recorded)
- Pennsylvania (as recorded)